Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this type of amp/connections and have a few questions on how to connect my Yamaha receiver-amp- sub combination;

1. Do I need one RCA(male) to XLR(male) cable to go from the one sub preout output of my receiver to one of the Peavey's XLR (Either A/B) inputs or do I need two RCA(male) to XLR(male) cables to go from a Y RCA cable adapter connected to the receiver's preout to the dual XLR inputs of the peavey amp?

2. I bought one Speakon (4-pin) connector. Do I need two of them to to connect the two subs I have, a dual sealed opposed sub system, to the Peavey amp which will run in stereo mode? If so, I will also need two Speakon cables (male to male) to go from the amp's dual Speakon outputs to the two Speakon sub connectors, right? I need a cable of about 10', will 14ga be sufficient? Also, do I connect each sub to the +1/-1 pins of each Speakon connector? The Speakon cable does the job of electrical wire to carry the "juice" to the subs, only better, right? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
1. Do I need one RCA(male) to XLR(male) cable to go from the one sub preout output of my receiver to one of the Peavey's XLR (Either A/B) inputs or do I need two RCA(male) to XLR(male) cables to go from a Y RCA cable adapter connected to the receiver's preout to the dual XLR inputs of the peavey amp?
If you've two subwoofers being driven off the peavy, you want a Y adaptor driving each individual channel of the peavey separately. If you're only driving one subwoofer, there is no point in a y-adaptor.

2. I bought one Speakon (4-pin) connector. Do I need two of them to to connect the two subs I have, a dual sealed opposed sub system, to the Peavey amp which will run in stereo mode?
Yes. Each amplifier output needs to connect to each individual driver.

If so, I will also need two Speakon cables (male to male) to go from the amp's dual Speakon outputs to the two Speakon sub connectors, right? I need a cable of about 10', will 14ga be sufficient?
14 awg will likely suffice, although for high powered applications like this, I prefer the extra heatsinking of 12 awg. It's probably an irrational approach as even your home wires are probably 14awg.

Also, do I connect each sub to the +1/-1 pins of each Speakon connector? The Speakon cable does the job of electrical wire to carry the "juice" to the subs, only better, right? Thanks.
The speakon cable is no different from a speaker cable; it just uses neutrik connectors. The only advantage of the neutrik connector, is how easy to connect it is.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts