Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok! I've read some nice threads here about the IB arrays and finally decided to join the IB cult. :D

Please shed some lights on what is the best driver to choose.

I am thinking about 4 x Fi IB18" for $799 shipped
I also have 2 of the ED 190V.2 18" drivers I bought on the Thanksgiving sale with the sealed box in mind. But I can change direction and get more ED 18" for IB array if it's proven to be a great IB driver.
Or I can get 8 x AE IB15 for about $800+ shipped.

Help me spend on my IB setup. I have Crown XTi4000 and CE4000 to push the IB arrays.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I vote for the 8 AE IB15's. They are optomized for IB and will have greater sensitivity, power handling and displacement over just 4 of the other drivers. It'll be a sick set-up for sure.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
I might would model all three of them and see what they look like. 8 AE15's sounds like it would be killer indeed. But, if you already have ED 18's, I would want to see how maybe 4 of those stack up to the 4 Fi IB's, which are also designed for optimal IB. If they are close, you might just pick up a couple more ED's and go with them... otherwise you might want to sell those and go the other route. I modeled those Fi IB's against several other drivers and they are very strong.

I don't have time to do it tonight, but if I get the chance, I'll see what I can model up for you tomorrow sometime. Unless someone else beats me to it. :T

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sonnie, thanks for the modeling if you have time. I have all the time in the world to start this project. No rush here.

Thanks,
James

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
I figured the same 100ft^3 for infinite space on all setups.

I gave each setup no more power than enough to reach excursions limits, which I would think you would not wish to do. However, I limited the Fi Audio IB18's to 1900 watts, since it is my understanding that 1900 watts is about the max power you can expect from the EP2500. The Fi IB18's can accept 2400 watts before reaching excursion.

4 ED 18's
8 AE 15's
4 Fi 18's
6 Fi 15's

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Sonnie! From the graphs, I think ED is out of the pictures and I'll just use two of mine for dual sealed subs similar to my A7s-450. So, I have three contenders left but also wondering the AE IB15s can take more power upto like 2KW for the whole array. All three of these drivers perform pretty close to each other and AE seems to have a little more punch under 40Hz and lose a db above 40Hz. I wonder that is due to that Fs = 16Hz in oppose to higher Fs of the other subs in the model. Also, I can't find the Power rating for the AE IB15 on the AE site so I wonder what's the value you use for the AE IB15. Is it possible to supply 2KW to 8 x AE IB15 array?

The other driver comes to my mind is the Exodus DPL15. It sure cost more than AEIB15 but seems a good competition to it. Is there anyway we can remove the ED from WinISD and add 8 x DPL15 if not too much troubles for you? :D

I will use Crown XTi4000 to power up all the IB subs. I think XTi4000 can supply like 1KW minimum on each channel at 4ohms load.

·
Friend of the Shack
1,356 Posts
I just moved to two Fi IB18s in an IB from four Mach5 MJ18s. You can't go wrong with the Fis, IMHO. Two is more than I need for rather large room. Four is just overkill. I'm using an EP2500, with one 4 ohm driver on each channel. You will not hurt for output with four. I wouldn't worry too much about getting the absolute max out of your amp -- you'll have so much bass that you will damage your house.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
I can model the Exodus drivers for you as well. I have all of those at the office, so it will be tomorrow some time before I can do it.

Keep in mind that with 1000 watts the AE's are reaching their excursion limits... adding more power will make them model better, but they most likely won't actually perform as they model when you do that.

Can you give me a rough estimate of how much space you have behind the drivers? Is it completely sealed, as in another room... or just an attic and therefore unsealed for the most part?

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Sonnie,

Can you post the AE IB15 TSP's? I thought that I had them but I don't and can't seem to locate them on AE's site.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My idea is to have the IB array with 1 open side of the table style box. I am thinking a table style box with one side covered and the other side is totally open. I may glue two sheets of 3/4" birch ply and MDF for each side of the table top. The dimension if 48" width x 60" long x 40" high. I hope it's enough surface area to mount 4 x 18" or 8 x 15". The inside of the box will be heavily braced to hold the weight of the subs. I can either down fire (I need to add middle section to the table top to mount the subs) or up fire the subs but I don't want to mount on the sides because of the distance from the walls.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Here's your Crown specs:

crownxti4000specs.gif

Considering the tested XTi 1000 being short a couple hundred watts at 20Hz, I would suggest your 4000 would be bit short as well. Either way, at a 4 ohm load, you should have plenty of power for any of these combo's.

The ED 190v.2 parameters from ED's site are supposedly incorrect and I have found tested parameters which I have used in the following model. Hopefully it will be more accurate. I also increased the volume to 2000ft^3, which will probably more closely represent an IB more accurately in the lowest frequency range.

I game them each 2400 watts of power and then added a HPF to allow for maximum excursion. They are very close, but I think you are going to get more mileage from the 4 Fi IB18's. They are going to move more air, player louder and handle more power before reacing excursion. However, these are parameters for the IB2 18's... we do not have parameters for the IB3 18's, which may be different. I know the IB3 15 now has 30mm Xmax, so it is an improvement over the IB2 15.

ibcompare001.gif

ibcompare002.gif

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Sonnie! The Fi IB15s looks very sweet. I'll see what I can come up with since they are going to cost more than my budget. Thanks for the hard work and I'll keep you posted what I get.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts