Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Other (suggest in reply)

Votes: 2 6.7%
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm long overdo for a receiver upgrade, my current Denon is nearing eight years old. My big requirements are that it supports 4K (future proof), L/R pre-amp outputs, and has good room EQ. I have it narrowed down to two choices and I'd really like to get the Onkyo NR818 since it has Audyssey XT32 but it's more money than I'd like to spend. If I were to settle for regular old XT, there are half a dozen options and I'd save a few hundred bucks.

Help me decide!

Edit: ended up with the TX-NR818 :bigsmile:

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
In the price range the Onkyo 818 cant be beat, XT32 THX certification, and given Onkyos reputation for getting very good power output its a win win.

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
In the price range the Onkyo 818 cant be beat, XT32 THX certification, and given Onkyos reputation for getting very good power output its a win win.
+1 - if I were looking for a AVR for my HT right now, I would more than likely go with the 818. However, for the odd-shaped room, I truly believe the Sherwood 972 with Trinnov is a great choice - despite the clunky remote and a couple quirks.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was looking at a refurb R-972 for $500, new for $600. I was really tempted by that and Trinnov, what held me back is reading about some occassional HDMI issues and no official 4K support.

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
I was looking at a refurb R-972 for $500. I was really tempted by that and Trinnov, what held me back is reading about the so-so HDMI capabilities and no official 4K support.
That is unfortunately one of the quirks - there always seems to be a delay when swapping devices or from 480 to 1080 on the cable box.

And, the fact that is does not officially support 4k is why I voted for the 818. ;)

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I think unless you already have a strong preference for the Marantz (some just like how they "sound" better than Onkyo), you'll find the 818 very tough to beat. Just speaking for myself (my Denon is going on around 10 years), I'd put the little extra in to get what I really wanted, and hope it lasts me another 10 years, rather than saving a little more up front and possibly replacing sooner.

Some would prefer more-frequent less-costly upgrades to get the newest tech, and that's a valid approach too. I just know that I won't have the chance to upgrade many big-ticket items very often ("didn't we just buy one of those?"), and would rather make the most of the chances I do get.

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
I agree, I think that Onkyo's reputation stands above Marantz.

Not saying that Marantz is bad, but I've been mostly happy with Onkyo gear.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Both the TX-NR818 and the SR5007 are very well-equipped AVRs. What stands out for me, at a glance:
- the Onkyo has MultEQ XT32, dual HDMI outputs and more power;
- the 5007 has multi-channel analogue inputs.

Although I'm a very satisfied Marantz SR6003 owner, if I were shopping for a new AVR and I could afford it, I'd buy the Onkyo. If I couldn't afford it, I'd very happily "settle" for the Marantz.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
My vote if for the Onkyo as well for all the reasons mentioned and for my personal experiences with Marantz vs Onkyo products in the past. Not that Marantz products are bad but they lean towards the softer side of sound which can be great for classical and jazz but a little dull for movies and rock. I prefer the more forward sound of Onkyo which doesn't go over to the shrill side, just not so laid back like Marantz.

I do really like the Sherwood 972, Trinnov is one slick technology. The quirks, while they are worth living with for the SQ, can be too much for some which I completely understand.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I am deciding on an 818 myself, however I am concerned with the longevity of onkyo products. I have seen lots of issues with HDMI cards flaking out. Maybe they got that bug fixed. I am considering a Denon now. they do pack a lot of features into the onkyo at a very attractive price point however.

·
Registered
30 Posts
That's why when I bought a new receiver I didn't get onkyo lasted three and a half years that's it I bought a 4 year service plan on my new one. Onkyo is real nice but to she'll out money and have it break down....

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I have seen lots of issues with HDMI cards flaking out. Maybe they got that bug fixed. .
That's why when I bought a new receiver I didn't get onkyo lasted three and a half years that's it I bought a 4 year service plan on my new one. Onkyo is real nice but to she'll out money and have it break down....
You have to remember that Onkyo sells almost twice as many receivers as any of the other manufacturers so the complaints may seem to be more than what is normal. The so called "bad HDMI boards" and "Heat issues" is a very small percentage and Onkyos do get warmer due to the much stronger amplification section that are in them so care must be taken not to place inside a cabinet, on or under other heat generating equipment.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Tony's right.

Onkyo did have an issue at one time with a bad cable but they handled it for people who were not even under warranty anymore. I have owned over 5 Onkyo products and only 1 needed repair which was also related to the bad cable I already mentioned.

I had a bad experience with a Onkyo receiver when loss-less audio first came out but I am happy I did not give up on the brand. IMHO Onkyo/Integra has surpassed both Denon and Marantz in my system in terms of movie performance, Denon/Marantz are solid music performers though but not exactly better than Onkyo/Integra, just different.

·
Registered
922 Posts
that's encouraging to hear about onkyo. also very true there are twice as many out there so a small problem could be blown out of proportion on the interwebs! the 818 I bet will be a huge seller with all its features.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow, overwhelming support for the Onkyo. Looks like I better save up some extra cash and go that route! The XT32 is what has me the most excited, it's going to be a big change going from nothing to that.

My current Denon has served me quite well for years now, and sounds amazing, and will continue to do so in my computer room. I'm try not to be a brand fanboy so I look forward to giving another brand a shot.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Good plan Fusseli. As I mentioned, I'm running a 10 year old Denon now, which has never had issues. My brother has an 8 or 9 year old Onkyo which has also worked perfectly. As I understand it at the time I bought mine, Denon were coming out with very robust (and underrated) amps. I have read that lately it isn't the case as much, and Onkyo power is at least as good if not better. Without proper measured test results its all hearsay, but things change from year to year and model to model, so you can't always rely on brand name quality being consistent. A smart consumer does what you're doing and asks questions and reads up on things.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
My Onkyo 809 has been stellar and I've never had a problem with it. Certainly happy I followed the advice given when I made my upgrade.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As I understand it at the time I bought mine, Denon were coming out with very robust (and underrated) amps. I have read that lately it isn't the case as much, and Onkyo power is at least as good if not better.
That's exactly why I got my first Denon as well! I'd be skeptical of any judgements on them and I wouldn't hesitate to go Denon again if they had the feature blend in the price range that I'm looking for.

All of the talk about AVRs sounding "warmer" or being better for a certain type of music is heresay, too :) 20-20Khz at <.1% THD are all I bother to look at. Then when you quickly realize that all AVRs fall into the same general range, only varying by tens of watts (maybe a dB in maximum output SPL), the quick realization comes that an AVR integrated amp is about as good as any. Save for the HTIB and Walmart junk. Then again you can pick those out by their 100W ratings... at 10% THD.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
All of the talk about AVRs sounding "warmer" or being better for a certain type of music is heresay, too :) 20-20Khz at <.1% THD are all I bother to look at. Then when you quickly realize that all AVRs fall into the same general range, only varying by tens of watts (maybe a dB in maximum output SPL), the quick realization comes that an AVR integrated amp is about as good as any. Save for the HTIB and Walmart junk. Then again you can pick those out by their 100W ratings... at 10% THD.
Ouch :sad:

Heresay? Makes you wonder why we all just don't buy the same receiver if they all sound the same :ponder:

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ouch :sad:

Heresay? Makes you wonder why we all just don't buy the same receiver if they all sound the same :ponder:
Different sound is accomplished from different processing of the signal, such as from: tone controls, surround modes, room correction, etc. Amplifier channels themselves hardly change how something sounds, if at all. We are talking modern AVRs here, not old tube amps.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts