Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Other (suggest in reply)

Votes: 2 6.7%

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Different sound is accomplished from different processing of the signal, such as from: tone controls, surround modes, room correction, etc. Amplifier channels themselves hardly change how something sounds, if at all. We are talking modern AVRs here, not old tube amps.
All those things make a difference, it is also how the designer chooses to implement them. Your right that we are not talking about tube amps but we are talking about AVR's which include the pre and amp stages all in one to create a sound and there not all the same.

IME I have demoed 2 to 3 different receivers in my system at various times, all calibrated to the same levels. Some were so close you could not hear a difference but others either possessed a more laid back sound or a forward sound that could be grating to listen to. I would normally keep a receiver I was demoing in my system for at least a week or 2 before switching out to the other so I could get a good feel for how it sounds.

Sorry if you feel that receivers that have a "warmer" or sound better for certain types of music is just heresay but IME that was the case.

We just have a difference of opinion, I respect yours, I hope you respect mine.

·
Super Moderator
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
When I am talking about an amp influencing sound, I am mostly talking about an amp preserving flat FR as well as neutral phase contribution. Having more RMS power, more available transient power, etc. can sure separate one amp's sound from the next. Not to mention other things that are up for discussion such as damping factor.

At any rate, our own two ears are indeed the bottom line :T

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Everyone will have a different impression of how things sound, and I would guess that the actual amplifiers don't colour the sound too much, but the processing and preamp stages of different manufacturers probably do. There are definitely people who seem to prefer the "sound" of Marantz receivers for more music-focused systems. Whether you call it "warm", "forward", "bright", etc., I think there is something different going on from brand to brand, and some people are more alert to the differences than others... some speakers may bring it out more than others, and I think we have all seen gear that pairs up better or worse in the past.

In any case, there should be equipment in the right flavour for everyone out there! For me, taking the step from a 10 year old 6.1 system to an Audyssey EQ'ed 7.2 or 9.2 setup would probably be a big enough difference that the subtleties between manufacturers would be lost, but there are those with keener ears than mine who may be able to differentiate between brands right away. My selection for my next receiver will probably rely more on the specific feature set I'm looking for than the particular sound of the unit, but I guess I can't say for sure until I've tried some out. In the end, just make sure you have something you're happy with, and enjoy using. :T

·
Registered
197 Posts
I also have an aging Denon receiver (3805) and wished that the latest 3xxx class receivers has Audyssey Xt32. I have a friend who's got a Onkyo receiver that was purchased about four years ago and that product has been working flawlessly for him for quite some time. I forget the model number but it was one of the first to support HDMI 1.3 and so far, there's been no problems. Even when he got a Samsung 3D TV later on and I was concerned about compatibility, the Onkyo has not had any passthru issues. Very well made and well sounding.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I bought my Onkyo Tx-nr809 last year and am very pleased with it. No problems so far and i like the osd it is very easy to use and it sounds great. It is a beast and i am very glad the shipping was free (it is #50 in the packaging).

·
Registered
821 Posts
I am deciding on an 818 myself, however I am concerned with the longevity of onkyo products. I have seen lots of issues with HDMI cards flaking out. Maybe they got that bug fixed. I am considering a Denon now. they do pack a lot of features into the onkyo at a very attractive price point however.
I've seen far too many posts of disgruntled Onkyo users who's receivers quit on them and additionally being slapped across the face by poor customer support by Onkyo.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I've seen far too many posts of disgruntled Onkyo users who's receivers quit on them and additionally being slapped across the face by poor customer support by Onkyo.
also keep in mind.. it may seem like a lot of 'disgruntled' onkyo buyers but who knows, maybe they sold 10,000 of them? sometimes forums and complaints can get a little overboard! sometimes the price point is worth the risk...maybe? I still am considering that 818... even with some of the bugs out there.

·
Registered
821 Posts
also keep in mind.. it may seem like a lot of 'disgruntled' onkyo buyers but who knows, maybe they sold 10,000 of them? sometimes forums and complaints can get a little overboard! sometimes the price point is worth the risk...maybe? I still am considering that 818... even with some of the bugs out there.
I believe Yamaha is till top dog in AVR sales and I see far fewer posts with Yamaha troubles then I do with Onkyo. I'm not saying its a bad sounding unit but I'm saying that relaibily is an issue.. similar to NAD which I'm quite fond of.

·
Registered
821 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I believe Yamaha is till top dog in AVR sales and I see far fewer posts with Yamaha troubles then I do with Onkyo. I'm not saying its a bad sounding unit but I'm saying that relaibily is an issue.. similar to NAD which I'm quite fond of.
That was the case 10 years ago but Onkyo has taken over the lead by almost two to one. Yamaha make a solid receiver but in the last few years they just dont offer as much bang for buck as they used to. I was a huge Yamaha fanboy up until I bought my first Onkyo.

·
Registered
821 Posts
That was the case 10 years ago but Onkyo has taken over the lead by almost two to one. Yamaha make a solid receiver but in the last few years they just dont offer as much bang for buck as they used to. I was a huge Yamaha fanboy up until I bought my first Onkyo.
Can you tell me where you are getting your numbers? I've searched for this to no avail.

·
Registered
27 Posts
3dbinCanada said:
Here's mine...
Hey I have had the same problem with my Onkyo receiver. I have the tx nr 609 and it cut on and shut off immediately. I tried all the diagnostics possible before having to take it in for service to my local authorized shop. I felt glad that mine is still within warranty until now... The receiver has been in for service since July 26 without a resolve. They have told me they have replaced 2 boards and a power supply but still duplicates the same problem.

Im a bit upset now that it has been 5 months of not having the epicenter to my HT and there's no hope in sight since they won't just replace the whole unit. So im not sure how bad you want to keep your receiver, but unless I'm getting my leg pulled for a warranty repair, your better off moving on IMO. At the prices they want to charge you I would be selling my other equipment to pay for that repair in my situation.

With all this said I have also considered the 818 as a replacement because of the bang for buck factor.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Since we're venting: I've had 2 HT receivers, one from Onkyo' the TXNR1007 and one from HK, the AVR3600. Both broke within a year. Neither had good customer service. I got an Emotiva UMC1. Wow! That thing nearly gave me a coronary. Broke right out of the box essentially and they really wanted me to do a lot of trouble shooting for them--to see exactly what part wasn't working right. I didn't care specifically which board had issues, I just wanted a working unit. I also bought one of their big 5 channel amps. It's a beast, but it has an audible hum. Not too bad though, but it's the first modern amp I've ever had with one. $900 for a hummer isn't too bad in today's market. Now I've got a Marantz--their newest pre. Cost me an arm and a leg, but it's been working well for nearly a month. It has some minor bugs that I'm shocked still exist. Bought it local so I hope to have less issue with customer service. They can't just lie to me on the phone or not answer calls and claimed that they'd deal with any warranty issues... I have run out of trust. Emotiva told me to blame Hollywood! Although I get their point... Not exactly what someone with a $500 paperweight that stinks of toxic gas wants to hear.

Anyway, Emotiva had the best customer service I've dealt with--about 2 or 3/5 stars. The other 2 have been zeros to1/5. With Emotiva, at least you get a live person during the office hours that picks up the phone quickly. Some of them are earnestly helpful and are 5/5. Others... not so much. Hard to now where to go these days. Few others care about your problems or money/time spent.

Good luck,

Dan

·
Super Moderator
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I'm getting the NR818, it's been decided :D I've shopped around a lot and nothing compares to it at its price point. I really wanted to consider an HK, but their features even on the 3650 just seem lacking, especially compared to the 818 which seems to best all of the other $1000 choices.

For what it's worth, my current Denon had to be sent in twice for repairs within the first year I had it. The first time, all of the front panel buttons stopped working. The second time was when it returned from repair, somehow the center channel mysteriously didn't work anymore. On the +++ side, the same receiver has been running solid for 6 years since. Like I said, I would recommend a Denon/Marantz to anyone just from how happy I am with this old thing.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Nice! Loved the features of my Onkyo. They said it worked perfectly when I sent it to them. However, it made all sorts of popping noises on certain sources then my other receiver doesn't. I've had the same analog/stereo receiver for about 10 years. It's an old HK. Love it even if the tuner doesn't sound as good or pick up as well as the Emotiva or the Marantz. It just works w/o glitches or hitches every time all the time. Too bad I can't find one with the digital goods to do the same.

Hope this works out well for you,

Dan

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
I must have just been lucky throughout the years with all of my AVR purchases. I've probably owned 5 in my lifetime all of which were Yamaha's except my current Onkyo tx-nr809. I've never had a lick of problems with any of them. I have my original Yamaha purchase which is 25 years old that my daughter is currently using.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Even my Marantz has glitches--like if you hit certain buttons while in set up mode, you have to turn it off and restart it to get anything back up on the screen. It still emits the rare and not very audible pop when you use it as a DAC from the TVs optical out(my only out on my TV). The Emotiva would produce these crazy loud beeps that would make your heart race like crazy. Totally at random and at an increased rate the longer you left it on. If you used no processing, it wouldn't do it.

My uncle's Sansui from the 60s still works perfectly. You just have to use contact cleaner every couple years. I wish I could get a digital receiver to work like that, but I haven't been close yet. People tell me I'm just too picky... I guess I've found one I can live with. I just hope it finds it can live with me. Lol

Dan

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
My old flagship 1999 Yamaha RXv995 is still working great, my brother is using it now. My Onkyo 805 bought brand new is still working flawlessly in my Theater. And an even older 1989 Yamaha E300u is also still working good at a friends house.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts