Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am posting this for a friend of mine.

I built a Martycube and LOVE it. He saw my sub and wanted me thoughts on a DIY build for his setup for the basement area which is fairly large (600 sq feet open to another 250 on one side).

His budget is between 500-700, with parts purchased over time either used or on sale. So we can stretch his dollar a bit here I believe. He is open to just about any design as he is NOT limited too much by size.

Since he's not limited like I was for a size constraint I wanted other opinions on build suggestions to do. I am not that up to speed on designs OTHER than the Martycube as most of the ones that dig super low are MASSIVE and that wasnt an option for me.

So if you have suggestions for a build please let me know. We are not limited by driver size, enclosure size or what amp to use. Preferably something with a fan that runs quiet, and if possible quiet without modding the fan.

Below is his layout. This is a old pic, but he's got it setup in the blue positions currently.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Jbl gto 1514d $150 per pair. buy two pairs for $300. Then add an inuke 3000 dsp. Build 2x large enclosures tuned to 18hz. 2 opposed drivers in each enclosure. Should come under budget.

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
If he has a LOT of room and small budget a TH or other ytpe of horned subwoofer would be best. Can easily buy a Alpine SWS 15 for about a 100 dollars. Build a pair of horns and your set. Or you can build a horn with a Dayton 15" that is about 36x 36 x 15-30" wide.

Or large ported design such as a Marty or any other ported design you can design with free software.

·
Registered
64 Posts
2x 750L ported cabinet
Tuned to 18hz
Slot port 10x2cm height x 50cm width x 44.11 cm length in each cabinet (need to adjust port length slightly if port is adjacent to side of box/floor, but adjust will only be very small)
2x JBL GTO1514 in each cabinet ($150 per pair)
EQ: Highpass 18hz 2nd order
EQ: Lowpass 200hz 2nd order
Power: 700W per cabinet

Cost is $300 drivers + amp + wood + paint

You could probably feed these more, but they are rated at 350W per driver RMS and this design keeps you within xmax. Graphs are without any room gain. It's about 4db louder than fullsize marty @ 30hz, ie just over double the loudness. You can half the cabinet volume, you loose about 0.5-1 dB per cabinet

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts