Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have recently joined this forum and have made a couple of posts so far. I originally had a cheap all in one surround sound system and the blue ray player/amp box failed on me. Since my wife is a stay at home mom I went right out and bought a sony str-dh540 receiver and a sony blue ray player at best buy thinking I would use the speakers I had from the previous unit for now. I thought this would be a step up from what I had. I am a total newb at this and after joining this forum and learning a little about receiver specs I learned that the sony receiver in not a very good one. I also bought a set of polk audio rt35i bookshelf speakers and polk audio cs245i center speaker from a friend very cheap. I decided to return the sony receiver to best buy and now I'm in the market for another. I'm working with a 500...maybe 550 budget. I want something that will allow some room to grow down the road and has preouts. I have been looking at reviews and looking at receivers from accessories4less so that my budget will go a little further. So far...I am looking at these receivers. Any input on which is better or other suggestions that are better and in the same price range would be greatly appreciated. I'm ok buying factory refurbished from a4less or similar...but don't want to buy used from ebay. Here is what I'm considering.

Onkyo tx-nr809

Onkyo tx-nr717

Denon avr-3311ci

Denon avr-3312ci

Yamaha rx-v773wa

Please give reasons for why you would suggest one over the other and why one is a better buy over the other.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Out of that list the Onkyo 809 is the best choice by a fair bit, none of the other receivers have the HQV video processor and a robust power supply meaning that it will come much closer to outputting its actual power output.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Out of that list the Onkyo 809 is the best choice by a fair bit, none of the other receivers have the HQV video processor and a robust power supply meaning that it will come much closer to outputting its actual power output.
That's what I was thinking. All the others weigh in at around 25lbs...but the 809 is at like 40lbs. I read some where that the weight is a good gauge on a receivers power ability. I'm told the tx-nr809 is nearly the same as the newer tx-nr818 which I'd really like to get but it is out of my budget.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
yes, its almost the same as the 818 but one step down in the Audyssey level with Multi EQ XT instead of XT32.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Awesome. Thanks for the input. Being a newbie at this it can be hard to get my head around it all and get a good understanding of manufacturer specs and what it all means. Anyone else who would like to give input please do so. I will be placing my order in a couple days. Waiting on best buy to credit my credit card for the return of the sony receiver I had. They said it would take 3-5 days. Should the 809 sell out before then...what would be the best second choice? 717?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
if it does sell out I would wait as they usually get more in within a few days.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.