Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, i've got a 10" car audio sub that im using right now with a dayton 240 watt plate amp. It's tuned to 25hz and i want to get lower than that using the same amp. I dont know how low i want to tune but i have been playing around with a 16-17hz tune. I am on a pretty small budget and have been considering a couple of drivers.
ixl-18 (top end of my price range)
mj-18
tempest-x when back in stock
exodous dpl-15
dayton titanic 15"

i was thinking about 12cu. ft. would be about as large as i can go. are there any other subs to consider and which would be the best choice? which will be used mainly for movies at moderate and occasionally high listening levels.

thanks in advance guys

·
Registered
67 Posts
Alright, i've got a 10" car audio sub that im using right now with a dayton 240 watt plate amp. It's tuned to 25hz and i want to get lower than that using the same amp. I dont know how low i want to tune but i have been playing around with a 16-17hz tune. I am on a pretty small budget and have been considering a couple of drivers.
ixl-18 (top end of my price range)
mj-18
tempest-x when back in stock
exodous dpl-15
dayton titanic 15"

i was thinking about 12cu. ft. would be about as large as i can go. are there any other subs to consider and which would be the best choice? which will be used mainly for movies at moderate and occasionally high listening levels.

thanks in advance guys
What type of music? Will this be used for theater?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the amp does have the bass boost, it will be used for music and movies but i want it to preform best for movies.

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
Best bang for your buck would be the MJ-18M in 10 cu.ft. tuned to 18 h.It's cheaper then the Titanic and has the the potential for a lot more out put if you would upgrade the amp in the future to a 550 watt amp. The problem is your plate amp. You need to change 2 resistors to get rid of the boost and set the SSF to as low as possible for this setup.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Best bang for your buck would be the MJ-18M in 10 cu.ft. tuned to 18 h.It's cheaper then the Titanic and has the the potential for a lot more out put if you would upgrade the amp in the future to a 550 watt amp. The problem is your plate amp. You need to change 2 resistors to get rid of the boost and set the SSF to as low as possible for this setup.
so how would i go about changing out the resistors? ive never done anything like that before. Also, whats SSF?

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yea that's the amp, my dad and i should be able to figure that out.

i plan on using the one sub now and later on get a bigger amp and a second sub of the same kind so would the mj18 still be a good choice or would something like the ixl18 or the ed19Ov.2 be better options?

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Since you put it that way, The IXL-18 in 12 cu.ft. tuned to 16 hz is an excellent performer. I have 2 of them. There are 4 builds of the IXL-18 in 12 to 13 cu.ft. range in the "Database". The IXL-18 is a definite step up from the MJ-18M

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/diy-subwoofers/9265-members-subwoofer-database.html

You could get a Behringer EP2500 and power the subs one per channel.
i figured the ixl18 would be the best option considering it was the most expensive of all the subs i was looking at, but I always try to do things right the first time. this might take a while to get the $$ saved up but i think 2 18s on 1200 watts each should be more than enough for me:D

edit: just noticed on mach5's site that shipping is included on the price, i was hoping i wouldnt have to pay a bunch to ship the thing.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mike, what are the dimensions of your box? I'm trying to figure out how i want to build this monster. 2'x2'x3' would get me 12cu.ft. internal right? then i have to subtract for the port bracing and driver displacement, any idea how much space the IXL takes?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
23" deep x 38" wide x 30" tall. Net volume after all deductions was 12 cu.ft. Your 2'x2'x3' dimensions aren't quite big enough. The internal net volume would be around 9.5 cu.ft. Think bigger!
9.5 cu.ft. is after subtracting for ports, bracing, and the driver right? i was thinking either 3 4"x29" ports or else a square vent. I have also been thinking about doing something interesting like an external port, just something to set it apart from all the other big sub boxes out there.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
heres a little something i got started on, 2.5x2.5x2 internal for a net 12.5 cu.ft volume. 3 external 4" ports. i think it looks really cool

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i cant figure out how to curve cylinders in sketchup but here it is, ill probably end up painting it black but its got wood on it for now.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts