Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a sub budget of $1,000. The sub is going on a 5,000cf room. Due to waf, the sub is going to be sealed and must be 15". I just finished making a birch ply enclousure (I like working with wood), well braced, 3.75cf. With the wood, legs, wire, stuffing, wood trim, paint, screws, etc., it came to around $150. Reading here and AVS Forum helped me a lot on how to best make the enclousure. I ordered a ED LT1300 plate amp ($350) and ED EQ2 ($100), both are simple to use which is something I wanted. That leaves me with about $400 for the driver. These are my choices in order of preferance:
1. Audiopulse Revo 15", I've heard is supposed to have good sq, I can get it for $400.
2. CCS SDX 15", a good all around driver for its price, $260.
3. SoundSplinter 15", will it work well in a small sealed enclousure? Around the same price as the revo.
My speakers are omnisats v2 towers, v2 center and v2 surrounds. I also plan to get 3-4 room acoustic
4" panels to help me get a better bass response. Will these be enough? Again due to waf, I can only put them on both front corners of the room. This system will be 50% music and 50% movies. Yamaha rx-v2400 is the receiver. Do you think the revo will be much of an upgrade over the other drivers listed here? Are there any other drivers that you think will provide me with better performance (under $400) than the ones I listed? Hopefully I'll have some pics once everything is completed. Thanks for your help.

·
Elite Shackster
1,506 Posts
The SS and the SDX model pretty close to each other in terms of response and output in that box. I would suggest taking a look at the Mach5 IX18 as it also models well in the box.

It sounds like you've already got the box built, have you cut the baffle for the driver?

Welcome to the Shack!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, even though I have been reading the messages here for a few months it's my first time posting. Yes the baffle is already cut, therefore the driver must be 15". Which one of those drivers that I have posted do you think models best on that size enclousure, 3.75cf and 1,300 watts? Thanks.

·
Elite Shackster
1,506 Posts
The Audiopulse models the best IMO with the nicest looking response curve and has more xmax than the SS. They are all going to be power limited down low. As you've already cut the baffle you'll want to look at the cutout diameters for each driver. You may have to recut depending on your selection.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It looks like I'm going to have to cut the baffle about one-third more of an inch for the revo 15" sub. Also, they might be sold out until january, I'll call a couple of places that carry them and find out. If I have to wait a couple of months to get it, then so be it. Meanwhile I might have to do with my 12" sub until then. I'm definetly still considering the other two drivers but leaning more towards the revo. Thanks for the information so far.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the cutting dimensions of the revo 15". From some of the readings I've recently done, I was able to verify that the revo is really an upgraded tc2000 with a taller surround and a motor that can take more watts, so hopefully that will translate into a better driver than the tc2000.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Glad to help, and I hope that you can get your hands on one or more of those Revo's...

Every one of the TC-2000's I got have the tall surround.... I think most of the difference between them is a more power handling... But I am pretty much talking at this point, maybe someone can come in here and spell it all out...

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Mike P., thanks for that info. Basically, the revo takes more power which should translate in a higher frequency response, specially from around 25-80. Also, it has lower vas which should make it work better than the tc2000 in a smaller enclousure, say 3-4cf? Finally, with a fs of 22, that means the lower response (below 20) is not as high as the tc2000. Does this mean the revo is a better driver for music and not as good as the tc2000 for home theater, at least below 20 or so. Any help here is appreciated as I'm a little confused with the "advantages" and "disadvantages" of each sub.

·
Elite Shackster
1,506 Posts
Basically, the revo takes more power which should translate in a higher frequency response, specially from around 25-80.
Actually more power is going to give you the most advantage at lower frequencies where excursion is maxed and fighting against the internal pressures of the box.

Also, it has lower vas which should make it work better than the tc2000 in a smaller enclousure, say 3-4cf?
Yes.

Finally, with a fs of 22, that means the lower response (below 20) is not as high as the tc2000. Does this mean the revo is a better driver for music and not as good as the tc2000 for home theater, at least below 20 or so. Any help here is appreciated as I'm a little confused with the "advantages" and "disadvantages" of each sub.
Fs is the measurement of the drivers natural frequency. That is if you were to push it all the way in and let go (if it were undamped) it would resonate at this frequency. With good drivers like the one you are looking at of course it would just return to it's original position and stop. In small sealed designs Fs doesn't have as much of an impact on overall frequency response, but generally speaking the lower the Fs the lower it will play with less power. Of course, eq can correct this by adding more power, so the increased power handling of the Revo becomes an advantage.

As far as musical vs theater subs... if it can play deep and flat with no distortion it will sound great for either. It's a debatable topic, but the demands from music are generally less from extension and output standpoints but greater from a distortion standpoint. With a driver of this quality, you won't have to worry :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thxgoon, all my questions were answered, straight to the point, thanks. My search for the revo will start, it has already been decided. Meanwhile, I might get a used 15" driver and use it until I can get the revo since I might have to wait a couple of months. The enclousure is finally done (painted), the eq and amp, I just got them. I know patience.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi, a very good day for me. I talked to a co-worker of mine who has several subs (he's into car subs) and he told me that he has one css sdx 15" that's in good shape, just a few small scratches on it and is about one year old. The best part is that he's not using it now. I told him I need a sub and offered him $150 cash, (he wants $175), he will let me know tomorrow. He told me it did great in his car set-up but then ended up upgrading to a TC3000 (Audiopulse). I think I'll be getting a good sub for the money until I can find the revo, and then you'll see this one for sale, what do you think? So if everything goes well, I could have a working sub by this weekend, which mean pictures coming up. Since I'm new here posting and have not posted pics, I need help. How do you load the pictures on this forums? How does it work? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi, finally I have the sealed sub finished. I was able to get the 15" CSS SDX used at a good price, that will do until I can get my hands on a revo 15". Unfornautely, I tried to downlowd some pictures (high resolution) and it would not take it here. It says I have to manually load them up. Anyways, I was able to download 10-pics on avs forum, under the diy subwoofer forum (First DIY 15" sub with pics). Please go there and check them out and if you want you can comment on them in this forum. Again, thanks for everyone's help here and at the forum I was able to do what I wanted, a sealed DIY sub!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts