Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have unstalled some acoustic treatment.

24" superchuncks in front corners.
Made frontwall dead with 2" rockwool.
Reflectionpoints treated aswell.

I want to know what you guys think of the measurements?

Spl 1/24 octaaf smoothing

Attachments

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
1/6th octave is the "norm" for full sweep plots with 5dB increments. Please read "posting a graph", it will help you to help other interpret your graphs. Your waterfall should be unsmoothed, same increments as your sweeps and limited to 15 - 200/300 Hz. Your mdat file would be useful for others to review also.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok thanks will do that with future measurements.

In the mean time what does these curves and wayerfall tell you?

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Here's a paper ( written ) by 2 well regarded acousticians where they lay out some guidelines ( as to what to look for when viewing ones own measurements ) and how certain ranges of "numbers", can translate into better sound .

Maybe this will start you on the road to making meaningful connections between what is "seen" & what is "heard" .

:sn:

Attachments

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well i did a study of the papers.

I think, i am on the right way with my room.

If i could bring those 2 peaks at 55 and 100Hz within 10 db that would be a good starting point to move further and blend the subs inthe system...

Different speakerplacement does not help much, imaging is superbe, so either its gona be further acoustical,treatment or eq. Perhaps i should buy a mini dsp? Not shure, i am actualy a little bit afraid that a dsp can be heard in the system...?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Please list gear(amp, speakes, sub) and measuring mic setup and HT or 2 channel, recordoing studio etc?

What are you hearing mainly e.g. boom too much high end etc.

Do you like the sound across the full range, what would you like to sound better?

I have bought a Antimode Dual Core 2.0 and it is very versitile. Has made a alot of difference to my system. Still have more to do but have a great starting point.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sunfire tgp4 preamprocessor
Sunfire theatre grand 5x 200w amp
Oppo 105 used as usb dac in for music,,analog to preamp
Klipsch palladium 5.1 system with P17 bookshelf as fronts
2 klipsch Rsw12 sub, aswell as 1 klipsch Sw-112 for testing

Imaging is great, punchy bass, some bass notes are a litlle bit dull (peaks at 55 and 100Hz?) harsness with some music.
Cant blend subs with the mains, i think they do not match the quality of the mains...

50% music 50% ht
Mic behringer ecm 800

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Have you tried moving th subs/speakers/listening position around using the RTA of REW?

If the subs have phase adjust that too.

With carefull positoning of subs (specially 2) and speakers crossover, phase and listening position you should be able to smooth the response pretty good. Then look at EQ. Room treatment doesn't smooth 55hz that well.

Is the ECM calibrated?

Post the waterfall graph and 1/6 octave frequency graph as well with the better scaling.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Will try tomrrow with RTA, no phase adjust on subs, just 0 or 180

Altough the bass of the fronts rolls of much much quicker, their bass is much punchier, articulate, refind.
With the subs, it just says booom..no mather what xover or volume, boooom.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The last weeks i played most of thentime with the subs at different locations and different xover. Todat i was so frustrated with the sound that i detached them from the system and only played with the mains...it was a relief. Fast bass, punchy, articulate, refind, i was realy happy except that i miss the lowest octaves.

If i could fill the lowests octaves in such a manner i would be a happy happy man.

Right now i am looking for diy subs (maybe si18"), but i think its a hard job finding a system caching up with the dynamics of the Palladiums..'

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Will try tomrrow with RTA, no phase adjust on subs, just 0 or 180

Altough the bass of the fronts rolls of much much quicker, their bass is much punchier, articulate, refind.
With the subs, it just says booom..no mather what xover or volume, boooom.
Basically play with what you have 0 or 180%.

Where is your listening position, RTA very good for this?

Post some graphs of the mains on there own (L & R seperate then together). Get them rightr then move to the subs, thats what i did.

I was very close to geeting rid of my two Velodyne DDs, but found out the speakers where contributing to the boom. Now have twin REL Strata 5s and they sound absolutely fantastic, but don't rush and buy / build anything yet, personal opinion.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Further listening is telling me that without subs, the room definitly sounds pretty good, there is an occasional boom in the bassfrequency, probably the peaks at 55 and 100hz, it would be great if i could get rid of those, without further lowering the overall rt60 times above 200Hz

Attachments

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
With the subs try middle of each wall e.g. middle of front wall and middle of back wall or middle of each side wall.

Are you playing them as mono?

Attached is what i achieved with the Antimode with my mains only.

I should have used 1/6 octave smoothing.

The Antimode can also be used for subs only if the user wants.

no eq !.jpg

antimode calibration 1.jpg

no eq.jpg

antimode calibration.jpg

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Further listening is telling me that without subs, the room definitly sounds pretty good, there is an occasional boom in the bassfrequency, probably the peaks at 55 and 100hz, it would be great if i could get rid of those, without further lowering the overall rt60 times above 200Hz

I use only use the RT60 from 250hz - 8-10khz.

I don't think you should loose this in theory.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I use only use the RT60 from 250hz - 8-10khz.

I don't think you should loose this in theory.
More absorbing material on middle of backwall lowers the Rt60 aswell as Spl on that range. So i need a solution that only affects the lower frequencies.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Nice looking curves, even your 1/24 octave smoothing is well between specs!

Looks like the antomode does a great job!

For the moment i am playing via digital coax from an asus soundcard to,the sunfire preamp. There i can set the xover for the subs.
However the build in dac's from the Oppo 105 are superior to the sunfire ones, but i loose the sibwoofer channel in stereo mode in that configuration.

So i am looking for a solution where i can use the oppo in stereo mode with subs.
I can set all speakers to small except for the mains and use an Y adapter to the subs but that way the fronts are also playing the low notes and thus limiting the overal volume of the system, maybe a mini dsp can handle this...? In cinema mode am i loosing the lfe channel in this configuration or is it also sending the lfe channel to the mains?

Or i can stream music via dlna to the oppo instead of via the usb dac and dont loose the subwoofer in stereocmode but i am wondering if that would degrade audio quality?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts