Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to have my speakers behind the screen. I have a panasonic ae4000u
projector. I am using a 2 to 1 ratio. My screen needs to be 140'' wide by 70''
high. The projector will be 19 feet away from the screen. Although the room is a dedicated theater with no light, I am afraid that I will need a high gain screen, but I am not aware of anyone that sells just material. This will be my first experience with building a theater. I am hoping all you experience theater builders can come to my rescue.
thanks
David

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Welcome to the forum dhlaman. :wave:

Taking a quick look at projectorcentral's calculator your 140"x70" screen would have an image brightness of about 9 fL.. I believe their calc. assumes a solid screen surface which means you would lose some brightness with a non-solid screen (I don't know how much). Dropping your screen size to 120"x60" bumps the brightness up to 12 fL. which is a level most people feel comfortable with, but that still doesn't allow for the lose of light due to the holes in the screen.

I could be wrong, but I think having an AT screen with gain much higher than 1.0 opens a real can of worms optically. There are enough problems with moire patterns with AT screens as is.

I just had a look the SMX's site (http://www.smxscreen.com/) and they say they have the highest gain AT screen available (1.16). I believe they sell just the screen material to DIY'ers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your help.
Smx stop selling just material. They want me to buy the frame also 2495.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Try the following. They have a fairly good selection of screen fabrics including perforated. Check to make sure your viewing distance is sufficient so the perforations won't be noticed. I think from what you described, you'll be ok on that issue.

http://www.av-outlet.com/en-us/dept_459.html

As you mentioned, you'll lose a small amount of brightness with a perf screen, but I don't think you'll hardly notice. You might be able to ask for some screen samples and check out the different materials before committing.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Thank you for your help.
Smx stop selling just material. They want me to buy the frame also 2495.
Ouch! Bummer... and it is unexpected since they started out as DIY.

Are you looking specifically for commercial screen material or would you be interested in experimenting a bit with fabrics? We haven't given much thought to DIY AT screens here, but spandex fabric might show some promise - there are a lot of variables though, such as the more it is stretched the larger the holes become.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I just purchased material from Chris @ Seymour AV. I don't have a tremendous amount of experience with different screens but I have seen some of the perforated screens in action, tried my hand at the lycra screens, and have seen several "standard" screens. The center stage material from seymour is AWESOME!! It is amazing how flat the screen really is. I was worried about seeing texture or weave but you have to be VERY close to it to even begin to notice.

Fast shipping and great prices. Couldn't be happier that I decided to quit farting around trying all these different fabrics, etc and just spent the $200 to get a "real" screen.

·
Registered
285 Posts
He was 3 weeks ago....

from his website...

DIY fabric

We cannot extend return or upgrade privileges on cut material. If you need to check for moiré for your projector at your screen size, please contact us for a sample. We didn't put this in the shopping cart system because most DIY orders are quite unique (precision cut to size/angle, etc.)

Description

Price
(NEW!) Center Stage XD screen fabric
(great for 2.35 ratio screens,
and/or Panasonic, D-ILA, or SXRD projectors) 63 in. wide $12.95 / linear ft.
(NEW!) Center Stage XD screen fabric
(for large 16:9 screens, or if you need 15° tilted cut)
98 in. wide $19.95 / linear ft.
black backing 63 in. wide $12.95 / linear ft.
black backing 98 in. wide $19.95 / linear ft.
Center Stage XD screen sample 24 in. x 24 in. $20
Center Stage XD screen sample 8.5 in. x 11 in. no charge

1 - 14 of 14 Posts