Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, took all my measurements for each speaker, and my sub. Awesome. Ran auto eq as suggested with 1/6 smoothing, and removed any gains less than -3 or +3, ensured no really high q's... so far so good! Working on my sub... STUCK. My Sherbourn PT-7030 only allows for gains of up to +3... Any ideas on what I should do?

Thanks to everyone, almost there!

PS, how bad is my measurement? Need a lot of correction?

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
How does this correction look? I had to lower the target in order to avoid any +db gains, since my prepro is only capable of +3 to -12 db... Is what I entered a close interpretation? Am I breaking any "WHOA too much gain!" rules?

REW suggestion

Freq GAIN Q
19.10 -10.5 3.58
72.10 -14.5 2.90
95.60 -14.6 2.49

What I inputted due to limitations

Freq GAIN Q
20 -10 4
72 -12 3
96 -12 3

I was also considering adding a 'manual' filter at 30hz, +3db gain, 4 Q... Is this fourth filter necessary? Would it be detrimental?

Text Green Line Plot Wave

Is this a better frequency response?

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
That doesn't look like the right target curve for your measurement. There is no sign of roll-off in the original measurement within the 100Hz span shown, does your sub measurement include a crossover in the path? If it doesn't you shouldn't use a target that has a crossover filter applied. You also seem to have some 'house curve' applied to the target, what settings did you use for that? To tell whether the response is better overall it needs to be seen over a wider span and with a main speaker active so that the match to the main speaker can be seen.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I figured since my sub is crossed over at 80hz, and my mains (Revel F12) are crossed over at 60hz, this 'hard knee house curve' would restrict bloating between 60 and 80... I am probably misunderstanding something? I measured the sub on it's own, without my mains. I'm really new to this, so please correct my way of thinking... I was under the impression I should always use a house curve. Is it better not to roll off? This is used in a home theater surround setup, used mostly for movies.

Do I need a house curve for my mains too, or am I just trying to flatline the frequency response graph as much as possible (without ove eq'ing)?

I hope my questions are not too nooby, I'm really enjoying this stuff!

·
Super Moderator
9,310 Posts

I measured the sub on it's own, without my mains.
Really? That’s what John’s talking about, your graph shows no sign of the sub’s response rolling out at the top end. It looks more like a mains + sub measurement than a sub-only measurement.

That said, you have the right idea with the equalizing, once we get the graph issues sorted out.

BTW, sub graphs are best viewed with no smoothing. :T

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's a relief...

Thanks guys! This is good stuff.

Without smoothing, looks like this (thanks for the no-smoothing tip, it's not as scary as non-smoothed full range, terrifying).

Green Text Blue White Line

Now if I could figure out what the I'm doing with the mains/surround :(

I think I need to stick within my limitations and try and alter auto-eq results manually. What frequencies should I focus on with my main/surround speakers? My EQ does not let me anywhere in the 500hz to 1100hz range for whatever reason. I don't rally care if my dog hears the difference, you know LOL

I think I am really getting somewhere! Wifey has actually said 'WOW! I can hear the difference!', but that may have been because it was my birthday, and she wanted me to feel justified in my Room EQ presents ahahahah

I feel like a kid in a candy shop

1 - 7 of 7 Posts