Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased an Epson 5030UB projector. I have a 120" 16:9 screen. I tried early on to use your original formula for the Black Widow paint mixture and I am not happy with how it turned out. Later I found out that I did in fact get a changed AAA formula making the original Black Widow mix I used unreliable. I am going to take my screen down again and paint it all over again. The screen is made out of a single sheet of MDF. I have two questions that I need answered.

1. I have a few places on the MDF sheet that are rough. When white gets displayed over that area you can definitely see the roughness. I had originally put a coat of primer on the sheet then 2 coats of the original Black Widow mixture. Should I lightly sand over these areas with a light grit sand paper? Then prime it again and apply 2 maybe even 3 new coats of the new Black Widow Mixture?

2. I live in the US and have a Menards, Home Depot and Lowes right down the street. Can someone please dumb down the mix for me that I should be using for the new Black Widow Ultra mixture? Just a grocery list of items I need to get. I have read through your past posts and get completely lost when trying to find the actual mixture. Please don't use acronyms, I really need to get this right. The screen is a bear to take off the wall.

My theater has the possibility of having ambient light so I believe the Black Widow paint mixture is my only hope right now.

Thank you for your hard work and help.

Sincerely,

aiwa2child

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
1. I'd sand it down and make it smooth. :T

2. Get a quart of whatever paint you'd like in a matte or flat enamel finish tinted to Glidden Veil or Universal Gray. Use Veil if you want it a touch darker or Universal Grey if you want it a touch lighter. Add the new AAA to it in a 4 parts paint to 1 part AAA ratio. Mix and apply.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the quick reply. That helps. What was the number for the AAA? Is it 4101-4Z? I believe that is what I purchased last time.

Thank you for the help.

Sincerely,

aiwa2child

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looking for advice on which paint route I should go. I have 2-4oz AAA 4101. I have the Epson 5030 projected on a 120" screen. The room has windows but we have cordless black out blinds so we can get it pretty dark. Sometimes we do need to have a set of wall sconces on when our little one is playing around while we watch a movie so some ambient light will be there. What paint is the best for this situation. I was thinking of:

1 quart of Glidden 00NN53/000 Veil Grey with 1 4oz AAA mixed? Is there a better mix for this situation?

Thank you,

aiwa2child

1 - 5 of 5 Posts