Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
guys, need help... I've decided to install ATMOS in my HT and wanted to take the chance to reconfigure my HT. But I'm kind of stuck cos I'm not too experienced in overhead and height configs to optimise the immersive sound. :-\

My limitations are:
- my couch is against the wall, and that cannot change due to WAF.
- wife don't prefer speaker stands for surrounds, so surrounds are to be mounted to the wall.

My current config is 5.2.

Now, my new project. I have 6x Anthony Gallo micros to play with - 2x will be used to replace my current surrounds; the other 4x used for overhead/height speakers.

Can help to see if option 1 or 2 below is better? Feel free to propose if u feel there are better alternatives :)

Current Layout:

Option 1 (5.2.4)

Option 2 (7.2.2)

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
To be honest, Im not sure you would gain anything by adding Atmos to your current seating arrangement. Having the seating against the rear wall really negates any possible advantage to having speakers in the ceiling as you simply wont hear them because they will be so close to the rear wall reflection point as well as the rear surround speakers.

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
Nice room. I think the best solution would be to lower your current surrounds(as noted) and go 5.2.2.
x.x.4 needs airspace behind the LP to be effective. I'm not sure about 2 atmos and 2 front height speakers, and I think that due to the difference processing and playback, they'd compete instead of work together. I'm not even sure if a system will playback in that layout. :eek:ld dude:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To be honest, Im not sure you would gain anything by adding Atmos to your current seating arrangement. Having the seating against the rear wall really negates any possible advantage to having speakers in the ceiling as you simply wont hear them because they will be so close to the rear wall reflection point as well as the rear surround speakers.
Thanks. That's the thing. I am a firm believer of - having more speakers may not be better.

If it's really not beneficial, and may affect the sq, I can live without the atmos.

But would heights improve the immersion?

My main aim is to improve the overall immersion

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
willis7469;1552186. I'm not sure about 2 atmos and 2 front height speakers said:
http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/images/smilies/redface.gif[/IMG]ld dude:
Thanks. Could u help elaborate the different sound processing issue? Are u saying atmos sound format may not have sounds for the heights?

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
Thanks. That's the thing. I am a firm believer of - having more speakers may not be better.

If it's really not beneficial, and may affect the sq, I can live without the atmos.

Agreed. Less can definitely be more.

Thanks. Could u help elaborate the different sound processing issue? Are u saying atmos sound format may not have sounds for the heights?
Yes. I think you'll get one or the other. Atmos, or front heights, as opposed to atmos in the rear overheads, and front height in the front height speakers. I still think 5.2.2 would work ok, and maybe even better if you could sneak a narrow table behind the couch and get off the wall. Even a little bit.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts

Thats the thing, with where your sitting I dont think you would benefit from them, you would have to place them in the ceiling so far in front of where you sit that it might just not hit your listening area unless you were to put just two in the ceiling at the halfway point and aim the tweeters at your listening area.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts