Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks very much Wayne.
So how does my room look?
I take it that the top image is showing I have problems around 100 and 130...?
BTW - this is a control room of a studio which I'm trying to correct with treatment.
I have very audible flutter echoes. Is that something that I can measure using REW?

Attachments

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Is the response plot a result of both your monitors or just one?

If it's both, it's a good idea to test one at a time first to establish which one may be causing the dip at 100Hz. If one monitor is causing the problem, it may be a reflection, but if both measure OK, then there may be an interaction cancellation between the two.

You didn't mention the microphone you're using (and whether you're using the proper calibration file), and whether you calibrated your soundcard.

brucek

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think that's both of my monitors..
How do I test them one at a time?
My mic is an ECM8000 with the cal file.
And yes, I calibrated my soundcard.
Cheers again guys,
Martin

ps - could you link me to images of a really good room so I can see what I'm aiming for?

·
Super Moderator
9,272 Posts

Thanks very much Wayne.
So how does my room look?
I take it that the top image is showing I have problems around 100 and 130...?
Welcome to the Forum, Martin! It looks like you got a handle on REW. :T All you need to do now is re-scale your graphs. The top one needs a vertical axis of 45-105 dB, and the waterfall needs to be LOG instead of LIN (FREQ AXIS icon).
I think that's both of my monitors..
How do I test them one at a time?
Decide which one you want to test, turn off the other one.

ps - could you link me to images of a really good room so I can see what I'm aiming for?
You’re aiming to get response roughly linear along the Target line. Right now your worst problem is that response sags badly above 2.5 kHz, not to mention a huge “hole” between 4-8 kHz.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ha! Ask a silly question...
Obviously I imagined a more complex, software-based solution...

Anyway, what are the likely causes of these problems and what would be the best way to correct them?

Martin

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Obviously I imagined a more complex, software-based solution...
Well, you could open the Windows mixer and slide the balance control to the left or right.

what are the likely causes of these problems
You're somewhat limited in the movement of studio near-field monitors or the mixing chair, so you would need to treat the area.

brucek

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Brucek.
What is the likely cause of the nulls at the bass end? 85 - 105 is pretty disasterous.
As is 330 and everything above 2.5k!
So how best to treat the top end? I'm guessing diffusion as there seems to be too little of it...?
Although, that said, I can clearly hear the flutter echoes.. Any ideas?
Cheers,
Martin

·
Super Moderator
9,272 Posts

What is the likely cause of the nulls at the bass end? 85 - 105 is pretty disasterous.
Cancellation. There are formulas for calculating this, but it has to do with the distance between the bass driver, the room boundaries, and the frequency in question. The distance between the drivers themselves (in the case of stereo speakers) can also come into play.

As is 330 and everything above 2.5k!
The area between 1.5 and 2.5 kHz could be attenuated, but aside from that everything in the 330-2.5 kHz range is acceptable.

Although, that said, I can clearly hear the flutter echoes.. Any ideas?
Treatments that absorb would be your best bet. Wall-to-wall carpet on the floor would be good start, in case you don’t have any.

So how best to treat the top end? I'm guessing diffusion as there seems to be too little of it...?
Treatments aren’t going to help the problems you have at the top end. Equalization is probably your best bet. That said, I have a hard time believing your studio monitors, assuming they are decent quality, are doing so poorly up there. I’d be more inclined to question the accuracy of the measurement. If you haven’t been, measure one at a time.

Do you have a custom calibration file for your mic, or are you using our generic file? The graph below shows the deviation in response that exists between a large number of the ECM8000 mics; our file is an “average.” If you haven’t, you might want to invest in a custom calibration for your mic.

Regards,
Wayne

1 - 10 of 10 Posts