Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Built the Statement Monitors and love them and now I am going to build a sub.

I only have room for one and it will be put in the corner behind my tv. I am planning on going with the SI 18 HT in a sonotube for ease of the build, moving it, and the enclosure needs to be tall.

I'm a noob when it comes to actually understanding all of the technical stuff so a little help is needed. The sub can be a total of 5'3" tall and about 24" diameter (not as critical). I would like a tune as low as possible with this size. I also need input on an amp, dsp, ect. I'm not really sure what all I have to have.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wood- I did see your build and I can't wait to see them finished. Either I missed it or you didn't say what you are using to power them and anything about dsp. I'm pretty unfamiliar with all that so I'm not sure what I need or absolutely have to have.

Also, what ohm rating should I get? Should I shoot for running an 8ohm load since it's easier on the amp?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Get 4 ohm. Use a pro amp. I like Behringer. I used an EP4K for a few years with no trouble. I upgraded to an iNuke 6000 for the new 18's (probably didn't need to honestly, nervous energy). You'll need some kind of DSP based EQ for a high pass filter. Some say you don't need it for LLT. I was able to get rid of some bottoming by using a MiniDSP (click my sig link). Plus, whether it's an iNuke built-in DSP, or MiniDSP, you'll pick up the ability to do some important "room fitting", ie, kill response peaks and applying some amount of "house curve" (boosting the lows) if you like.

You really should be able to do all of your design using just the SonoSub software. Just make your port 8-1/2" like mine, and you don't even need to mess with WinISD.

http://www.subwoofer-builder.com/sonosub.htm

One caveat. If you know you're only ever going to use one sub (my one 15" quickly turned into two), then get 8-ohm and bridge a 2-ch amp into it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I was looking at the inuke series with the dsp but wasn't sure if that was the best route to go. Will it do everything I need?

So your saying get an inuke and bridge both channels into an 8ohm total load? I'll have to get on my computer and download the sonosub program.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I haven't looked into it myself, but I'm pretty sure the iNuke-DSP can do the HPF you'll need. Just check the specs/manual. And I'm pretty sure REW (Room EQ Wizard) has iNuke-DSP integration. MiniDSP is very nice too, though (but more expensive).

Basically, assuming 16Hz tune, you'll need something like a 24dB/octave @ ~15Hz HPF. If you do WinISD modeling, you can apply that filter to see the reduction in cone excursion and port velocity around and below the tune freq.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I read one of the iNuke manuals. It got me wanting the dynamic EQ feature that I don't have with my MiniDSP :(. But oddly enough, they don't specify how low you can set the HPF, so you'll need to hit the amp forums to make sure it goes low enough. But I haven't heard any complaints, so I assume it can go down to at least 15Hz.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's great information. I'll check the amp forum to see. Like I said, I'm new to all this so I really don't know what I'm looking for or at.

I found some info in how much actual rms power the inuke 3000 puts out which is enough to run the sub on one channel at 4 ohms but way more than I need if I bridge it. So should I get a smaller amp and bridge it into 4ohms?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I found several people say that the lowest the dsp can go is 20hz which is not low enough. In that case would it be better to snag an ep2500 or ep4000 and get a minidsp? I see those are another $100. Do you have to leave them plugged in?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Wow. That's a huge screwup by Behringer. Too focused on PA applications. The frustrating thing is that since it's all DSP, they could probably lower the minimum cutoff frequency with a simple software modification.

Oh well, in that case, I recommend the cheapest pro-amp power you can get your hands on. Probably an EP or iNuke(sans DSP). I would probably get the iNuke3000. Never worry about too much power. You can always turn down the volume. Amps sounds better (less distortion) at lower stress levels. Or so the general wisdom goes. You also need to be prepared for bass-creep. My one sub quickly turned into two (15's) and is now turning into two 18's. But that's the end of the line for me... really... :innocent:.

[Edit] BTW, the implication is, yes, you should eventually get a MiniDSP, or equivalent. Don't worry though, you can run the sub w/o it. You'll just be able to get more dB out of it when you can filter out the ultra-low stuff that will cause you to bottom.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok great. Are the ep or inuke amps better? Good to hear the minidsp isn't absolutely required and more of a safety and tuning measure.

I did read that you can trick the inuke dsp version to get a lower limit but it seems the minidsp is just easier to use overall.

How bout REW and mics? What are those for?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I'm now debating on getting an Ultimax 18 or a SI 18ht. The SI is about $30 cheaper but will it be as good as the SI in an LLT build? I don't know the ins and outs of all the ts perameters quite yet so I need a little help.

I'm also maybe planning on doing a small 10" or 12" ported woofer as a side table so I can have 2 subs. I don't know if mixing 2 different sub builds will work/sound right?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, got my driver in, looks good, just a few little scratches. It was a B stock si18ht.

I am ready to start my build but I'm not proficient with the modeling programs. I put the info into the sonosub program but I would like someone to double check what I have.

I will be using a 24" tube with an 8" port tube. With the double baffle and end cap I came up with 408 liters, 53 13/16" end to end, 3' 1/4" port length, and 5" legs. This was for a 15hz tune.

Thanks again, can't wait to start.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have the majority of the cap pieces cut out. Need to finish up with homes and everything then start gluing up. Other projects seem to be getting in the way and pushing this back :(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts