Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I have this Kenwood KA-894 and want to incorperate it into my listening system whilst saving a buck.
it sounds quite musical to my ears, but my DTA-100A(small Dayton Audio amp) still sounds better, so I plan on using it's hefty power for a subwoofer. 2x100 watts at <0.09% THD and 2x150 at 1% all at 8 ohms
the only sane way I thought I could do this was with two 8 ohm loads, as I don't know it could handle a 4 ohm load without going into a protection mode or damaging something when the bass hits. I've tenatively chosen the Dayton audio DVC 15 dual 8 ohm. two coils, one for each channel and I should be in business. my only problem is sending it a signal. how should I do it?
I connect my phone and laptop directly to my DTA-100A, so my options are to split from the inputs, but then the DTA's volume control will not also control the subwoofer, or I could use a line level converter/mock up a line level attenuator of my own, which I could throw together with some resistors I'm sure.
second thing is keeping the mids and highs away from my subwoofer. should I build a passive crossover network into my line level converter/before/after the line level converter, invest in an active crossover, just put a simple low pass filter on the subwoofer(cost prohibitive), or lastly I could build a bandpass box and let the box filter it for me.
what does the infinite wisdom of the HTS think?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

Any chance you can post a clear picture of the rear of the Kenwood? Google image searches are not yielding anything sufficient, thanks.
will do when I get home. it's loads of stereo RCA jacks and 5 speaker connections. all but the two mains are unused unless I used dolby 3 stereo or pro logic.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts