Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i want to know what options do i have, i want a processor that have PEQ. for all channels including the sub, so i can use with Rew. I currently have Denon 4311, but i dont like what its doing in my room, and there isnt a way to do manual using PEQ on my unit. I saw the sherbourn, and emotiva, but im not convinced with them. What other options do we i have?
Tks
Dan

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
You can go into the audio settings of your 4311 and set it to manual. That will give you PEQ, but it's pretty crude compared to Audyssey can do. What about the auto settings do you not like? It usually give you the best possible 'flat' response in your room and if you prefer heavier bass, you can tweek it up in the level settings (which won't change Audyssey EQ). The 4311 has XT32, which is the best auto room EQ available at the moment (in both freq and time domain correction). ARC is supposed to give the same type of EQ with more flexibility, but comes at a much higher cost.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Forgot to ask, what other equipment do you have in your system and how is it set up (especially with respect to room dimensions, speaker placement and sub placement.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Alot of times if it does not sound right after running Audyssey its often because the mic placement is done incorrectly. Are you using a tripod, pointing the mic up and in the listening position at ear height? Is there a wall next to the listening position and what are the dimensions of the room?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hi this is my system.
Triad Inwall Gold LCR Fronts
Vutec Vision X 2.35 Screen with Masking
Triad Inwall Silver Surround (Back / Sides)
4 Triad Inwall Bronze Sub
Sunfire TG 7401 7 Ch Amplifier
This is a new room, its completely treated, it was design from scratch by Quest AI Acoustically wise. Here is some information. We sale and install theater in panama, panama. We are using quest ai as consultors for all the acustical design. We have advance measuring systems. So we are looking mostly for PEQ instead of audissey because we just want to fix whatever is really needed.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Pretty impressive room and equipment!!!

Are the numbered points the measurement spots you used for Audyssey? If so, 3 is not enough. Use all 8 mike positions. The first one is good (should be the MLP). The rest don't have to be in any specific order. Locations for the others can be: add 3 more in front of the other marked spots, just one foot in front of them, and the other two in the mid part of the arm rests (of the innermost ones). Audyssey needs to see an 'area' of the seating position, not the exact positions only.

Then, after taking measurements, go into the speaker settings and make sure all speakers are set to "small", if not, change them to be so. Then change the frequency to 80Hz if it's set lower than that (do not change if set higher than that by Audyssey as it won't do corrections below it's calculated -F3 point). If you prefer the bass to be a bit stronger, go to the level settings and bump up a couple DB (keep in mind that every 3db increase in sound will require 10X the power - so if you listen at reference levels, that will require a LOT of your subs, which may be able to handle it).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi this is our new room no audissey would go inside this one , I want to have manual PEQ like I'm being suggested by the acoustic designer

·
Registered
487 Posts
Manual PEQ is not something I would advise for HT. Audyssey will be at least as good at no additional charge. But, if you insist, it is your cash. The only way I am aware of would be to use the receiver as a preamp, send the multi-channel outputs to separate PEQ channels. Nearly $200 per channel if you want something really decent
http://www.axemusic.com/store/product/96/Behringer-DEQ2496-Ultra-Curve-Pro-Digital-Equalizer/
And then you will need separate amplifiers.
You could go a different route and buy a digital mixer with all the processing built in and use Aux Sends for Center and Rears
http://www.axemusic.com/store/produ...ized-Faders-and-32-Programable-Midas-Preamps/
But that will cost you over $3000, and you still need amps. But you could dual purpose the room as a recording studio or, if it's big enough, a live concert venue.
The other option, though I hate to kick a horse that you have tried so hard to kill, is try the Audyssey. Use all the available positions and mic techniques as noted in above posts. When you are done, my tip is to use a SPL meter to manually tweak individual speaker levels at the main listening position to 75dB (or a little higher for subs if you share my listening tastes).
Did your audio design guy give any good reason not to use Audyssey? There are a lot of people here who would go PEQ for 2 ch music. Not many turn up their nose at MultEQ32 for HT.
Hope this helps. I don't want to sound harsh, but I also don't want you spend money on solutions that most of us wouldn't see a benefit to.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i already have a 7 channel amp for this room. so amplification is not a problem. what happen if i go with denon 4520 or integra 80.3 and get a minidsp and fix everything thru the minidsp or something alike?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
also the numbered points shows the expected condition on those seats. the room is currently being finish

·
Registered
487 Posts
Sorry for slow response. I missed the Sunfire in the first post and have no experience with miniDSP. Looking at their website it seems that the 10x10 may suit your needs. It can handle 7.1 (or 5.3) and has processing for individual channel control of levels, crossover, 6 band PEQ, polarity, compressor/limiter, and delay. All for $599. (But you've already paid for Audyssey).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hi I haven't bought any processor or receiver yet.
I have just the amp at the moment.
I was checking the new Yamaha CX 5000 that has manual ¨PEQ if you want to, and then add a dsp for my subs. but don't know the sound of Yamaha vs denon 4520 for example.
almost got a krell foundation but it seems to have the same problem, you either use their room correction system or don't use anything from the processor.
Danielñ

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
One thing you are missing is that audyssey does way more than just EQ, it adjusts phase, time delay and a bunch of other things you can not do by ear. It will do a much more accurate job than manual EQ can plus you must be very careful how you EQ frequencies above 800Hz as any filters applied to only one channel and not equal on the other channel will mess up imaging.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
tks for your answer , but I have measuring equipment and, also my room is heavily treated and for example on my other room at my place, audissey is to aggressive , and the thing sounds better without the audissey engaged.. so this room I want to have more flexibility. with audissey there isn't much you can tweak. I know Yamaha lets you tweak just that I haven't hear them sound for a few years.
daniel

1 - 16 of 16 Posts