Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am using REW to help tune my bi-amped JBL horn setup. I have a MiniDSP 2x4 so have the options to use up to 6 Bi-Quads.

I am getting as far as running the "Match Response to Target" but I am just trying to understand how REW is picking the center frequencies, Qs and amplitudes of the 6 filters.

Here for example is the measured and combined and the filter chosen. On the plot the traces of the filters of the plot are positive gain, but I see they are negative on the EQs panel -- so I get that.

I'm just trying to understand the process by which REW deciders on which frequencies to target for a filter and how the Q is decided. (I do understand that the gains and frequency range are dictated by the choices I've made it the filter tasks tab).

Anyways thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
REW Author
6,711 Posts
You can choose whether or not the filters are drawn inverted using the check box in the graph controls. When inverted it is easier to see how they match to the response (which is best left unsmoothed for low frequencies, REW ignores smoothing below 200 Hz).

The basic process is to find the biggest area crated by the intersection of the response and the target, apply a filter there, optimise the filter settings to minimise the deviation from the target, then repeat until it runs out of filters to assign or areas big enough to be worth correcting.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts