Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 65 and have lost some hearing in the higher frequencies mostly over 8kh.

The doctor said to try band equalizers to compensate for the loss.

The issue is using RCA cables for the band equalizer's inputs and outputs. Most of my music/videos are generated from devices such as dvd/blueray that don't have RCA jacks.

I think I can get around this using splitter boxes [1 hdmi input, 1hdmi output, 1 toslink out, 5 RCA out.

Will this work? If no, is there a software solution?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Da Wiz "I recommend NOT using an EQ to try to compensate for hearing loss. Any range of sounds you INCREASE in volume will increase your rate of hearing loss over time."

Rob: Well, that is exactly what a hearing aid does for frequencies up to 8KH. According to my audiologist and my medical doctor, hearing aids do not further impair hearing over time.

The aids I tried for one week. worked well at letting me hear sounds below 8kh that were missing. Unfortunately. I need them to help reduce the ear ringing and they increase the ringing loudness . My audiologists says there haven't been any scientific studies to confirm a reduction in ear ringing over time. Really? I bet studies would, if made, would confirm that they do NOT work. That certainly helps doctors and audiologists to sell $7,000 hearing aids at huge profits.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll do some more research. I'm not sure about these guys. What turns me off is the = no long term studies to show a reduction of ringing. I suspect my loss of hearing higher frequencies is related to my age - 65. What does your friend say about hearing and aging?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts