Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok,,,so i am new to the diy seen,,started off needing to build a center channel to fit a media cabinet i had,, I was blown away by the sound quality> I thought i always had good speakers that were mid to high grade,turns out there all ... its amazing what you can do for 300.00 bucks. So now i got the bug. I want to build a new subwoofer, I can get a real good deal on automotive subs but all the home subs(I like the danish Manufacturers) are all a few hundred bucks, My question is aside from resistance what is the difference between automotive and home? you can get some pretty wild looking auto subs that look good quality for reasonable prices. I dont have lots of money to spend on a new self powered sub,(at least thats what my wife keeps telling me) :hissyfit:

Thanks for any insight.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, i dont want junk again, but want to do a 12 inch for about 250-300 if i can. if it sounds like junk i will wait. I can get a 300w bash amp for about 150.00 from a local supplier and can find a local 8ohm JL audio automotive sub for less than 100.00 bucks.

·
Registered
369 Posts
The Dayton Audio HiFi 12" sub is approx $135, along with a bash 300 that is less than $300 total. The Creative Sound Solutions SD12 is about $155 which puts you just a little over $300. Both would be good, there is also the Shiva-X from diycable.com but I think it would want quite a bit bigger enclosure and more power and would probably never have its potential fully realised with just a bash 300watt amp. Also at approx $185 it breaks your budget by $30.

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
Since you're in Canada I'd have to agree with the Creative Sound Solutions SD12. With taxes and shipping it would be about $210. The advantage of the SD12 is you can upgrade the amp in the future and get more output. An 8ohm JL Audio sub will get 150 watts from the Bash 300. Post the model number of the JL Audio sub, we'll do a comparison so you can see the difference.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
its a jl 12w8.

where is a good place to find the dayton or sd12? I used Solen out of montreal for the center channel and they were great.

thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
Here's a comparison of the JL and SD12. Green is the JL, it reaches Xmax with 60 watts due to it's limited Xmax of 8.6 mm. Pink is the SD12, it is no where near it's Xmax of 19.5 mm with 300 watts and can easily handle a 500 watt amp.

SD12 JL.JPG

If all you are ever going to use is a Bash 300, you can get by with one 4 inch flared port. If you might upgrade the amp to 500 watts in the future, you'll have to use two 4 inch flared ports.

The SD12 is available from Creative Sound Solutions, based in Abbotsford, B.C.

http://www.creativesound.ca/

1 - 7 of 7 Posts