Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this Carvin amp at local pawn shop-pristine condition
Amp link

It's tagged for $399-salesman said it's not a firm price (I'm guessing he'd sell ~$350-370), but it is like new with the case, so maybe the upper end price

Can you guys tell me if this would be a better buy than say a Behringer EP2500 for ~$270 ? I notice 'rated' power is similar, I believe the connections are the same, but the Carvin has many tone adjustments that I could just ignore, no? Reviews on some musician forums where exceptional.

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Mike,

The ep2500 specs state its 8ohm output 20-20khz is 1300w bridged, so the 4ohm bridged output would be ~1500w, no? The carvin is 1250w 20-20khz, so, it still has less power. Guess the carvin name and usa built increases price...along with the tone adjustments-which we don't use. The price on the carvin looks good-compared to like items. The ep2500 is very competitively priced .

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Hi Mike,

The ep2500 specs state its 8ohm output 20-20khz is 1300w bridged, so the 4ohm bridged output would be ~1500w, no?
The Carvin is only a mono amp the EP2500 is a stereo amp so it has alot more power when bridged mono.

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been looking for an amp (even lower power) for a bargain- no such luck. Bid on an amp last night on ebay-it went from $190 to $306 before closing out. I think I'm done trying to buy on ebay-big waste of time imo in most cases as people pay more than an item is likely worth. The ep2500 is ridiculously low priced for the output-more output than I need or even want at this point. So many HTS DIYer's use it successfully that it's hard to ignore. Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I've been looking for an amp (even lower power) for a bargain- no such luck. Bid on an amp last night on ebay-it went from $190 to $306 before closing out. I think I'm done trying to buy on ebay-big waste of time imo in most cases as people pay more than an item is likely worth. The ep2500 is ridiculously low priced for the output-more output than I need or even want at this point. So many HTS DIYer's use it successfully that it's hard to ignore. Thanks again.
Dont give up on ebay, Ive gotten some great deals. The trick is to not bid often on the same item and look for mis-spelled listings as thay tend to not show up in searches.
The EP series is an ok amp but there are better and that is probably why they went higher than you wanted to pay. Amps dont depreciate as much as other A/V equipment does so dont get your hopes up that your going to get it for near free.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I have bought all my amps on ebay except my EP and although it took longer I definitly saved a ton of money. Just keep checking, who knows what might happen. Good luck. I would also go with the EP. For the money it's a great deal.

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Found the behringer ep2500 for $270 and tapco j2500 for $300 to my door, both new...first weighs 37lbs, second 56lbs?! Tapco is class h amp(cooler running?), not sure of Behringer. Otherwise look very similar in specs. Either way these things weigh so much that I'll have to place the one I get on edge behind the couch, as my shelf won't support this much weight in addition to the receiver already there :hide:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts