Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have bought some blackout cloth and am now building the frame. I just have a dumb question....which side do I project on? Do I use the rubbery side or the woven side? Thanx

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
I have bought some blackout cloth and am now building the frame. I just have a dumb question....which side do I project on? Do I use the rubbery side or the woven side? Thanx
Try it out on both sides and see which side looks better. BOC varies from place to place I believe. The folks who paint usually paint the rubber side though. You may see texture artifacts from the woven side. Pin it up and watch it a bit. :T

Another question before I cut wood. Is there a rule of thumb on roughly how big the screen should be, based on distance from it?
Up in the sticky there are links to a couple of room calculators - THX and Carlton Bale's.

I guess nobody is around? I have wood and am ready to cut and staple.
How big of a screen are you thinking then? What kind of wood did you get? What type of framing are you planning on doing - V bracing?

I was busy watching a movie with the kids. :hide: :bigsmile:

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
we have a big living room, but cant have it all!! :(
I will either be putting together a room 12x12-12x14, or 10.5'x 23' depending on what the wife lets me do. I have enough screen material to make a 2nd screen if decided to.
To me it looks the same on both sides of the boc, just demo-ing the blue screen.
The material I have is 108x 54. I want to make as big of a screen that will look good and not be looking side to side. I have my wood cut now so that I could build the frame at 96x54. I dont know if the boc will stretch enough for that, or if I am thinking too big.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
according to the THX formula a 110" screen should have seating 11' away, that seems like it would work, if I can get the pj back to between 14' and 16'11" away from screen. I guess some of the never projectors need a smaller throw. At 11'5" at max zoom I could only get a 90" screen it seems according to Projector Centrals calculator. I don't know if using zoom makes the picture look worse or has any detrimental effect though.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am working on the screen now. I am going to stretch the cloth across the back of the frame. Frame is going to be wrapped in black felt. I am going to HD to buy some metal L-brackets to hold frame 2gether.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts