Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a little advice for bookshelf speakers to use in a 2.1 setup in a larger room and actually on a bookshelf.

For 25 years I had these old Pioneer 3 way floor speakers, with 12 inch woofers on some short stands. Rated at all of 40 watts, they sounded perfect to me in my small living room.

I built a new house and wanted a much cleaner look, so I had 5 Proficient ceiling speakers installed and got a sub. It sounds like . Not to mention the surround sound does nothing for me. I would much rather have 2 solid, clear left/right up front with the sub. Towers are out so looking at bookshelf speakers. Shelves are adjustable so probably can get near 15-18 inches tall before WAF kicks in.

The living room is wide open to the kitchen/dining area at the rear, with a space about 20 feet wide by about 30 deep. Seating position is 16 feet from the screen/ front speakers. 11 foot ceiling.

They will be used 80% TV , 10% Movies, 10% Music, mostly at lower volume levels.

I have a Polk PSW505 Sub and Yamaha RX-V473 AV Receiver.

I am looking at front ported because they will be on the bookshelf. I am leaning toward speakers that I can try in my home for 30 days and return if I don’t like them. Such as:

HTD Level 2
HTD Level 3
Wave Crest HVL-1

Any other suggestions?

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
630 Posts
What is the max budget?

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,377 Posts
I am looking at front ported because they will be on the bookshelf. I am leaning toward speakers that I can try in my home for 30 days and return if I don’t like them. Such as:

HTD Level 2
HTD Level 3
Wave Crest HVL-1
I reviewed the Level 2's and HVL-1's, so if you want to get an idea of what each is capable of those links might be helpful.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
zieglj01, the max budget is probably around $750 for the pair.

The SVS ultras are a bit steep and still rear ported.

Jman, I have read those reviews, and that's part of the reason they are on my list.

As for the 705V, both the wife and I are still on the fence about the look. That grill doesn't do much for either of us. I will keep reading on those.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
630 Posts
zieglj01, the max budget is probably around $750 for the pair.

As for the 705V, both the wife and I are still on the fence about the look. That grill doesn't do much for either of us. I will keep reading on those.
Just remember, that even an ugly duck can swim.:)

Also, look at NHT Classic Two - they are sealed - and they are nice/good
Plus 30 day trial
http://www.nhthifi.com/Two-Black?sc=12&category=3772

And KEF Q300 - front ported - and 30 day trial
http://www.kefdirect.com/q300-bookshelf-loudspeaker.html

·
Registered
630 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Sonnie has a GREAT set of Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1 pair and a CSC-1 center channel for sale in the classifieds here that should work great for you and under budget at $650 shipped. Downfalls for your requirements...no 30 day trial and are rear ported, but Sonnie has his installed in a similar cabinet as yours and from the sounds of it had no issues. Worth considering, imho.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/for...rnegie-acoustics-csb-1-pair-csc-1-center.html

·
Registered
73 Posts
You are asking a lot of any bookshelf speaker to fill the space you have.............especially if they have to "sit" on the bookshelf.

The suggestions made so far are very good - another one to consider ( although rear ported, it can be plugged with a bung) Arx A1b

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Sonnie has a GREAT set of Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1 pair and a CSC-1 center channel for sale in the classifieds here that should work great for you and under budget at $650 shipped. Downfalls for your requirements...no 30 day trial and are rear ported, but Sonnie has his installed in a similar cabinet as yours and from the sounds of it had no issues. Worth considering, imho. http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/classifieds-speakers-subwoofers/71379-carnegie-acoustics-csb-1-pair-csc-1-center.html
+1

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sonnie has a GREAT set of Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1 pair and a CSC-1 center channel for sale in the classifieds here that should work great for you and under budget at $650 shipped. Downfalls for your requirements...no 30 day trial and are rear ported, but Sonnie has his installed in a similar cabinet as yours and from the sounds of it had no issues. Worth considering, imho.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/classifieds-speakers-subwoofers/71379-carnegie-acoustics-csb-1-pair-csc-1-center.html

Thanks, but besides being used and not returnable, I am not looking for a center channel . I don't have a wide enough space for most centers. However with some of these $150 speakers I am considering getting 3 for a matching lcr.

Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You are asking a lot of any bookshelf speaker to fill the space you have.............especially if they have to "sit" on the bookshelf.

The suggestions made so far are very good - another one to consider ( although rear ported, it can be plugged with a bung) Arx A1b

As for the "filling the space" comments, I hear what you are saying, but I have a sub and even my ceiling speakers produce enough volume. I sit close enough that I think a quality pair or lcr will be enough for our needs. We don't really do the action flick emersion thing.

I had looked at the Arx A1b before and forgot about plugging the port. I think Jman did a review of them also.

I appreciate all the suggestions.

Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
After researching and reading tons of reviews I have narrowed it down to Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 or CMT-340. I prefer the 340s and the wife wants the smaller 170s.

Mike

1 - 17 of 17 Posts