Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, newer reader here, finally joined to ask for some help and DL the REW software. I traded some work for a pair of RCF L18-P300s and a QSC EX4000 to run them with. I have a long history in Car Audio and competing in SPL but the home AV game is new to me. I'm just looking for some basic advice, someone who has run a similar setup would be great.

I need to build a box for the pair. I'm gonna use it as a coffee table for now, fits well in my small house if I do that. I know they are huge subs with a huge box requirement, so I expect the table to be large. I'd like to have it resting on spikes, with a total box and spikes height no more than 20". Other than that, length and width can have plenty of room.

I want the box to play low, and have a fairly smooth response, I have no experience with these subs and I can't find anyone running them sealed.

Anyone have some input for me to try? I've plotted a few ideas in winisd but I'm so used to building pure SPL boxes for my trucks that I have no idea where I should head with this.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Dave

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll be using it for both. Mostly theater stuff but a lot of parties with music and music videos running from my htpc rig. The house is small, the power should be plenty, and the subs are huge... I shouldn't have a problem with a properly designed box.

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
This is a Pro Audio sub and not designed for HT. Below 30hz the output will drop like a stone. This sub could be used for music, but not for HT where the output below 30hz is most important. Since this will be used for "mostly theater stuff", you should consider some other sub. Here is the SPL graph of the sub. Notice the output below 30 hz.

rcf 18.JPG

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I already have the gear, so for now I'm gonna have to make it work. Maybe I'll get a different sub setup for movies later on. There is a lot of music playing here on a regular basis as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts