Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw some mineral wool on sale at menards. Is this stuff good for the ceiling to reduce sound. Or is there a specific kind or brand needed for the ceiling to deaden sound. In other words is all mineral wool the same. I have read that roxul is good, but probably too expensive. Also, I have read that this stuff does not burn. If that is the case can i install next to recessed can lights that are not rated to be next to insulation.

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
To deaden a cavity, you don't need anything particularly dense. Do you know what it was (brand, model, density?)

If the cans are not IC rated, you should still give them a bit of space.

Bryan

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will get back to you on the brand, model and density when i go back there tomorrow. I will leave at least 4 inches between the lights and the mineral wool. Thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
If you can just get the brand and what 'model' it is, I can get what density it is.

4" should be plenty of airspace.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It sounds like you really know your stuff! Great! I got the info. Johnsmanville Minwool-1200. They also told me they had something called Homastote board and that sounds like the owens corning 703 insulation that i am going to use for my acoustic panels. How do you think the Homastote compares to OC703

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
Homasote is not what you want by any stretch. It's more for exterior sound isolation - and not all that good at that. I don't have a listing for anything '1200' in Johns Manville - sorry. How flexible is it at a 2' thickness? I'd guess it's likely somewhere between 2.5 and 4.5/cu ft density so a little less to a little more dense than OC703.

Bryan

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
The mineral wool will likely be fine - I was just referring to the Homasote. Quite honestly, for the money you'd spend on dense mineral wool vs insulation would likely be better spent on another layer of drywall.

Bryan

·
Registered
888 Posts
The mineral wool will likely be fine - I was just referring to the Homasote. Quite honestly, for the money you'd spend on dense mineral wool vs insulation would likely be better spent on another layer of drywall.

Bryan
Agree 100%

1 - 9 of 9 Posts