Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw some mineral wool on sale at menards. Is this stuff good for the ceiling to reduce sound. Or is there a specific kind or brand needed for the ceiling to deaden sound. In other words is all mineral wool the same. I have read that roxul is good, but probably too expensive. Also, I have read that this stuff does not burn. If that is the case can i install next to recessed can lights that are not rated to be next to insulation.

· Premium Member
5,290 Posts
To deaden a cavity, you don't need anything particularly dense. Do you know what it was (brand, model, density?)

If the cans are not IC rated, you should still give them a bit of space.

Bryan

· Premium Member
5,290 Posts
If you can just get the brand and what 'model' it is, I can get what density it is.

4" should be plenty of airspace.

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
It sounds like you really know your stuff! Great! I got the info. Johnsmanville Minwool-1200. They also told me they had something called Homastote board and that sounds like the owens corning 703 insulation that i am going to use for my acoustic panels. How do you think the Homastote compares to OC703

· Premium Member
5,290 Posts
Homasote is not what you want by any stretch. It's more for exterior sound isolation - and not all that good at that. I don't have a listing for anything '1200' in Johns Manville - sorry. How flexible is it at a 2' thickness? I'd guess it's likely somewhere between 2.5 and 4.5/cu ft density so a little less to a little more dense than OC703.

Bryan

· Premium Member
5,290 Posts
The mineral wool will likely be fine - I was just referring to the Homasote. Quite honestly, for the money you'd spend on dense mineral wool vs insulation would likely be better spent on another layer of drywall.

Bryan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.