Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made a video with my iphone explaining the problem and showing the room.

it's on youtube under the username 'andrewskaterrr'

I basically need some thoughts on if I should put my desk in the corner or leave it where it's at.

Any suggestions?

·
Banned
3,807 Posts
No problem, my answer to your question, from an acoustics perspective, is that you just have too much going on in that room to say one way or another. I'd strive for whatever setup you find most convenient. I'd also shoot for nearfield listening, put your head at one point of an equilateral triangle, the other two points formed by the speakers. For extra points, deaden the front wall with sound absorption.

What this accomplishes is that the first and most prominent sound hitting your ears will be directly from your speakers, and that no reflections will be coming from the same direction as the speakers. Beyond that, keeping your setup (speakers, walls, shelves) symmetrical from your ears forward will also help.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
here's just a simply question which im having trouble finding the answer for. do i have to buy an external eq to go in between my alesis multimix8 usb mixer and alesis ra100 amp to have the 'eq'd room' setting all the time? or is there a setting built into REW that saves the measurements so the output always is eq'd right? do you understand what im trying to say? :huh:

·
Banned
3,807 Posts
REW is only measurement, it does not apply any EQ. You could insert a Behringer Feed Back Destroyer or similar EQ between your mixer and amp, use REW to create EQ setting, and switch/bypass them using the BFD.

At the nearfield position you're sitting in, the room behind you won't have much effect on your perception at the listening position. You'll mostly be EQing to flatten the boundary effect of having your speakers close to the walls (more pronounced bass, and depending on the tweeter dispersion patterns, highs as well).

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
REW is only measurement, it does not apply any EQ. You could insert a Behringer Feed Back Destroyer or similar EQ between your mixer and amp, use REW to create EQ setting, and switch/bypass them using the BFD.

At the nearfield position you're sitting in, the room behind you won't have much effect on your perception at the listening position. You'll mostly be EQing to flatten the boundary effect of having your speakers close to the walls (more pronounced bass, and depending on the tweeter dispersion patterns, highs as well).
man, I thought I was done blowing money.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i just switched my room around (whew) and almost all set up. now, i have 14awg cable and 16awg. which should i use. i would like to keep the 14 for stronger powered stuff but know it has less resistance.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well got everything set up. but guess what? there is a major lack in bass. we thought it would be too much, but we were wrong. the new set up does sound really good though, other than the bass. well i can hear the bass notes but i'm not getting the punch i guess.

also my alesis multimixer 8 usb seems to not work with REW. and my dbx rta mic is very quiet, like the settings are all the way up and it's quiet. my nady sp5 sound better right now. and yes, phantom power is on.

im so confused

1 - 20 of 23 Posts