Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Sorry for the late response, but hey thanks Shamu for the crystal clear explanation. I will definitely be trying this out. Yeah the VSX-D1S was regarded highly when I bought it. I paid well over 1k for it 20 years ago.

I think I will be trying option #1 using directly the amp. If I understand the difference, it means that the VSX-D1S will only be used as an amp and volume will be controlled by the new receiver (Denon avr-x4000).

Do you have an opinion on the lack of a HPF for the subs?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Sorry for the late response, but hey thanks Shamu for the crystal clear explanation. I will definitely be trying this out. Yeah the VSX-D1S was regarded highly when I bought it. I paid well over 1k for it 20 years ago.

1). I think I will be trying option #1 using directly the amp. If I understand the difference, it means that the VSX-D1S will only be used as an amp and volume will be controlled by the new receiver (Denon avr-x4000).

2). Do you have an opinion on the lack of a HPF for the subs?
M-G,
1). Yes, volume will be controlled by the Denon.
2). Should not be a problem since you are using the Denon's subwoofer output. Therefore, the Denon will already have applied signal filtering/bass management IAW the crossover and other instructions you program into the Denon. However, like any new setup, I would begin with low volume, ensure all sounds OK, before a full-up test using your favorite bass track or action flick.

Shamu

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
M-G,
1). Yes, volume will be controlled by the Denon.
2). Should not be a problem since you are using the Denon's subwoofer output. Therefore, the Denon will already have applied signal filtering/bass management IAW the crossover and other instructions you program into the Denon. However, like any new setup, I would begin with low volume, ensure all sounds OK, before a full-up test using your favorite bass track or action flick.

Shamu
Thank you again Shamu. Exactly what I was looking for:T.

I will report the results here when it's all set up. The divisions and electrical are done. I'm currently in the process of installing the backer boxes for the in-walls and passing the low voltage wiring.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Well the the sheet rock is up and I couldn't resist a test run and I'm happy to report that the setup passed the test with flying colors. I went with option #1, bypass pre-amp, so everything is controlled by the new AVR. I needed to increase DB output on the the new AVR sub control to get satisfying sub output.

Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Well the the sheet rock is up and I couldn't resist a test run and I'm happy to report that the setup passed the test with flying colors. I went with option #1, bypass pre-amp, so everything is controlled by the new AVR. I needed to increase DB output on the the new AVR sub control to get satisfying sub output.

Thanks again for the help.
Glad to hear (pun intended) you are pleased with the results!
Cheers,
XEagleDriver

21 - 25 of 25 Posts