Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new to the forum and am in the process of putting together a HT system. I have already built a 5.1 system consisting of the Tritrix MTM Transmission Line(main) + Tritrix MTM Vented Center + Tritrix MT Surrounds. These speakers do pretty well into the mid to low 40 hz range. My current receiver is a Onkyo SR-607. Now I am in the process of deciding on a sub. Something that will play the ultra-low frequency's. My room size is about 20x16 and is opened into a kitchen area (counting the opened kitchen area the dimensions are around 20x35). Size is not a real factor (except for I don't want something that is going to weigh 500 pounds). I think that I have decided on Bob's 15" Subduction model sub along with the Reckhorn B-1 as my highpass. I am leaning towards the Behringer EP1500 but am opened to suggestions. I really can only afford 1 sub (my driver cost limit is around $300) at the present and this sub seems to be the best "bang for the buck". I have started plotting some things in WinISD and here is what I have come up with. A am relatively new to this hobby so I am sure there is something that I might be missing out. Also, as far as bracing goes. How much volume will the port and bracing account for? Also, what thickness mdf would you recommend? Thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

·
Registered
373 Posts
The SDX15 is a very nice driver and if you live in Canada like I do it is, hands down, the most cost effective driver on the market. If you are in the US, there is also Exodos and AE to look at.

For the box size you are looking at you could actually tune as low as 15Hz and still have it play flat (room gain) in your room. This might allow you to eliminate the B-1 as a highpass filter.

Most here use 3/4 mdf with a double layer for the front baffle.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I will toss out the Dayton RS 12" driver for cost saving purposes. It's a great driver at 130 a piece. It's slightly below a JL Audio 12w6v2 in performance according to Wmax.

You could build 2 of them and get smoother in room response. I do suggest a DCX over the Reckhorn if you can swing it. It includes every eq imaginable. The DCX2496 is a tinkerer's dream.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the ideas. As far as an amplifier, would you recommend the Behringer EP1500 or the EP2500? Or something Else? I have plenty of xlr cables (and connectors to make my own wire) laying around, however I would need something to match the gain with my Onkyo Receiver. Does the DCX2496 allow signal gain to allow to matching of home audio + pro audio components? What is the cutoff frequency for the hpf on this unit? Thanks.

·
Registered
48 Posts
G,day CBMC. The DCX is an unity gain device,and needs a level translator to drive it (such as an ART Cleanbox). As well it does not have an HPF as such,however you only need to set a PEQ filter to make an HPF of any parameters you desire.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another sub I found that had good reviews was the TC Sounds 2000. I cannot find the sub anywhere to buy. Can someone point me in the right direction where these are for sale, if they are still for sale?

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
If you want to go with the SDX-15, take a look at 350 liters with a 7" diameter port that is 33" long and no high pass filter. That's what I would go with.

A single 15" can only do so much, but tuning to 19hz and using an 18hz highpass filter isn't going to get you any "ultra low frequency" capability.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info, I will definitely shoot for a lower tuning frequency around 15hz or so. I know this is a tough question to answer, but what sub would you all recommend at the $300 range. Is using a ported enclosure tuned at 15hz safe with a Behringer EP1500 or EP2000?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts