Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I posted a variation of this in the BFD section but mostly would like to know there about how to equalize it. Here I would like to know how to interpret the response measurements for the subs. The subs are both DIY. One is a 15 inch sealed adire tempest in a 122l enclosure and the other is is a 10 inch kicker solobaric. Disclaimer: I measured them in their current position vis a vis the listening position and could not reposition them due to space constraints. I have the following questions:

1. Which measurement do you guys prefer? For home theater, is the red one better because it has more extension or is the blue one better? I did not label them because they are at different positions.
2. Is the green response which is for both used at the same time better?

I made the measurements because I seemed underwhelmed when both subs are playing at the same time. The output is even lower than just using one sub. Based on the harman studies, they say that using 4 subwoofers is optimal. Would adding a cheap subwoofer capable of mid bass improve the response more?

·
Super Moderator
1,921 Posts
At a glance, the blue response is better than the red since the red has the deep dips at 80 and 100 Hz. Those could easily be an effect of where the subs are and where you are measuring from, though.

My answer for this thread starts out the same though :) In what environment did you take your measurements in and where was the microphone in relation to the subs and do you plan to use both sealed subs in the same system? Do you have a computer that you could use with REW in order to take some measurements?

Running two subs in tandem can easily produce undesirable effects unless the subs are identical, this is because the phase response of a sub is unique for each design. They may work together at some frequencies, and fight eachother at others.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At a glance, the blue response is better than the red since the red has the deep dips at 80 and 100 Hz. Those could easily be an effect of where the subs are and where you are measuring from, though.

My answer for this thread starts out the same though :) In what environment did you take your measurements in and where was the microphone in relation to the subs and do you plan to use both sealed subs in the same system? Do you have a computer that you could use with REW in order to take some measurements?
Sorry to answer the same also. :) The measurements were done in room. One sub placed about 2 inches from a side wall and three feet from the corner. This sub is beside the listening position. The other sub is at the opposite end of the listening position flush in a corner. The sound level meter is placed at the listening position. I have a computer but don't have a sound card as recommended by the rew threads. I just used the excel file for the 4050 radioshack.

What about the summed response? The green one? Is it better? I am currently using the two subs. It feels underwhelming though. I plan to get up to 4 subs (add two small cheap subs) in the future but the result of this two sub experiment of mine kinda lowers my enthusiasm. Both subs are already gigantic and I cant place them anywhere else.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
1,921 Posts
Running multiple subs can have big benefits, but all of the subs should be the same design if they are to be used in for the same frequency range. Experimenting with placement combinations would help you get the flattest in-room response. If running a single sub, in a corner is almost always the best.

Can you re-measure with both subs in the same place? That's the only way to get a fair apples-to-apples comaprison of which may be better. Can you also find the T/S specs of the subs and tell us how big both boxes are? How are you powering them?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Running two subs in tandem can easily produce undesirable effects unless the subs are identical, this is because the phase response of a sub is unique for each design. They may work together at some frequencies, and fight eachother at others.
I thought that using multiple subs even is different would tend to flatten out the peaks and dips. Based on the measurements that seemed to happen but based on what I feel and hear it sounds underwhelming.

Thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Running multiple subs can have big benefits, but all of the subs should be the same design if they are to be used in for the same frequency range. Experimenting with placement combinations would help you get the flattest in-room response. If running a single sub, in a corner is almost always the best.

Can you re-measure with both subs in the same place? That's the only way to get a fair apples-to-apples comaprison of which may be better. Can you also find the T/S specs of the subs and tell us how big both boxes are? How are you powering them?
I will try to measure them in the same place. I measured them in position cause that is the only place where I can put them currently. That is why i did not label them and only asked about the frequency response measurements at the listening position to avoid unfair comparisons.

T/S of the tempest from thiele small database

Brand Model X Vas Qts Fs Sens Pmax Xmax Production Mod
Adire Tempest 47 317 0.38 18.8 89.1 750 16.4 Active 2003 Mod.

more information
http://www.madaboutsound.com/downloads/TempestWhitePaper.pdf

enclosure of the tempest specifically the sealed midq design powered by a plate amp(I forgot which)
http://www.thunderpimp.com/subwoofer/SealedTempestApplications.PDF

The tempest solobaric l7 10 inch from thiele small database

Brand Model X Vas Qts Fs Sens Pmax Xmax Production Mod
Kicker S10L7-4 58 36.851 0.551 33.7 85.6 300 13.2 Active 2003 Mod.

I will try to ask the design of the L port sub but for now I will post a picture. That is beside a klipsch bookshelf.

Amp for the kicker is DIY. I don't think it is lacking in power though cause it has been used to drive big fi drivers and even re xxx.

Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts