Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, just joined today, so hello everyone!

I'm in need of help with my system and find i get puzzling results from Audessy Multieq XT on my Onkyo 876 and Quad L-ites 5.1 speaker package.

Specs for the speakers are...

Sat Speakers
30-120w
6 Ohm
sens 86db
freq response 70hz-24khz
crossover 2.2khz
freq Fb 70hz

Center Speaker
30-150w
6 Ohm
sens 87db
freq response 80hz-24khz
crossover 2.5khz
freq Fb 75hz

Powered Sub
300w
line in sensitivity 250mw - 100w
freq range 25hz-95hz
Low pass filter 35-85 in 10hz increments
input impediance 10k

I have the sub "low-pass filter" disabled and audessey auto setup comes up with the following...

Distances are correct.

Speaker Config
===========
Front (sats) - Full Band
Center - 100Hz
Surround (sats) - 80hz(THX)
LPF of LFE 80Hz(THX)
DoubleBass - ON

Equaliser settings
=============
Dynamic EQ selected (should this not be set to MultEQ XT)?

THX Audio setup
============
THX Sub - NO
Loudness Plus - ON
BGC - Greyed out
Preserve THX settings - Greyed out

Please can someone make sense of all this and tell me if these are correct or what should i change them to?

Thank you in advance!

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Hello and welcome aboard the Shack!

Lets back up a bit here, when your running Audessy are you placing the mic on a tripod pointing up at ear level on the seat that you sit on? how many positions do you read?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi there,

Yes i have the mic on a tripod at ear height and take 6 measurements (watched a video some time ago, on using a tripod with Audessey and the 6 seating positions as follows...

positions

4-5-6
3-1-2

1 being the center seating position
4,5 and 6 being just in front of the seating area

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Audessy is usually fairly good at getting things close, I would be curious if you were to re run the setup with only doing the front row twice so 2 x in each seat? its possible that your rear seating is too close to the back wall?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yes my seating it right up to the back wall as no room to move it forward and setup as follows...

-----DISPLAY TV-----
---L------C------R---
--SUB

---RL--SOFA--RR---
-----Rear wall--------

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Ok, whats probably happening is that Audessy is "hearing" the bass thats reflected off the rear wall. I would ignore the rear seating for the tests and just do the front row twice and see what you get for results.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
What about background noise? When I ran Audyssey I went so far as to start flipping breakers so that no appliances were running to reduce background noise. You should also not be in the room while it's running its setup.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, i'll have to re-run the setup but will be tomorrow and i presume you mean to run twice at the 4-5-6 area?, my current 3-1-2 area measurements were about 60mm from the rear wall.

JBrax
I made sure of no background noise and do stand outside the living room when tests are being taken, thanks!

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Yes, i would do it in the 456 area as the rear wall being right behind is giving you poor readings.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you, i'll report back tomorrow morning with the results.

Just thinking about the other settings like loudness plus etc... do these get set automatically by audessy? and audessy being set to Dynamic EQ and not MultEQ XT is this because i have 5.1 speakers and not 7.1?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
during Audessy it does not look at those settings and has no barring on the readings. Were those set by yourself or a previous owner at some point before you ran Audessy?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did a factory reset before running audessy, just in case and didn't touch those settings.

What should i set them to?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
DoubleBass should be off for your speakers as your mains do not handel full range and Dynamic EQ can be on as its just a new form of "loudness" control like in the old stereos.
MultEQ XT and dynamic EQ are totally different things. MultEQ XT is the version of Audessy your receiver has. You will see the Audessy logo lit up in the display if it is on.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
No problem, hope this helps.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok after reading up more on Audessey setup, i did find i was too close to the rear wall, so i moved the MLP forward so i was at the recommended 2 ft away!

Now i get better results as follows...

Speaker config
Front (sats) 70Hz
Center 100Hz
Rear (Sats) 80Hz(THX)
LPF 120Hz

So do i lower the rear sats to 70Hz or raise the front sats to match the 80Hz(THX) or leave it as it is?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Personally I would run all your speakers at 80Hz Its good to keep them all the same.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
No not really, If the speaker can reproduce down to 80Hz then it should be set the same as all the rest.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I did read in the Audessey setup guide that it is recommended NOT to lower crossovers but it is ok to increase them.

After watching a film i have found it to be too bassy/loud when there is action, explosions etc...so may have to lower the bass level.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts