Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone i have just bought a epson eh tw5910 with 2100 lumens 2000 contrast just waiting for it to arrive, thought i would start on the screen tell it comes, all i want is to be able to watch crisp movies at night time with a lamp on, my room isn't very big the projector will be 9 feet away from the wall don't know what size image i can have from that distance, anyway not shore what to do for a screen this black widow sounds good but will i need it or should i stick with just flat white.

thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Is there anyway to get any more distance from the projector to the screen? At 9 feet, your projected image will only be around 72 diagonal or 66 wide.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi do i need to add anything to the neutral grey no.8 or just a white primer then paint or should i do the black widow mix thanks.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Hi everyone i have just bought a epson eh tw5910 with 2100 lumens 2000 contrast just waiting for it to arrive, thought i would start on the screen tell it comes, all i want is to be able to watch crisp movies at night time with a lamp on, my room isn't very big the projector will be 9 feet away from the wall don't know what size image i can have from that distance, anyway not shore what to do for a screen this black widow sounds good but will i need it or should i stick with just flat white.

thanks guys.
I'm guessing you are in the U.K. since that PJ seems to get the most hits from U.K. sites and I haven't been able to find a detailed review of it online. Also, that PJ has a rated contrast of 20,000:1 - you missed a zero. ;)

Using the data from the Epson EH-TW9500 from projectorcentral, with the PJ mounted 9 feet from the screen you could have a screen size anywhere from 58" to 94" diagonal 16:9 aspect ratio. This would give you approximately 58 to 38 fc of image brightness depending on screen size. The recommended range for image brightness is 16 to 12 fL (fL and fc are the same for a screen with a gain of 1.0. fL is foot lambert and fc is foot candle). As you can see you will have a VERY bright image which needs to be toned down or it will cause eye strain. The simplest way to do this is to use a neutral gray paint which will both absorb some light to darken the image and also help maintain black level and color depth with ambient light in the room.

You could use BW™ UK. but I think a regular OTS (off the shelf) neutral gray paint would serve you better than Black Widow™. In your neck of the woods that would be Dulux paint tinted with the formula 00NN 53/000 "Grey Steel 2" in Matte finish. Just give the paint person at your Dulux paint store the info in bold print and they should be able to make the paint for you. The "name" of that paint color changes from time to time, but the formula in bold print stays the same. This paint is around N7.5 in gray shade and very neutral.

Hi sorry new to this whats OTS N7-N8 stnd for.
No reason to apologize, pretty much only artists working with oils or acrylics, and DIY screen builders, are familiar with N-shades of gray; your paint store most likely never heard of them either. ;) These values come from the Munsell Color System and denote the shade of a color. N10 = pure white and N0 (zero) = pure black. OTS is just "shorthand" for Off The Shelf paint and means a paint that YOU do not need to mix or color at home. It's ready to use as bought from the store.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi thanks so much for your help, how many primer coats do you recommend, and also please can you confirm the dulux paint should be a white paint with a tint of 00NN 53/000 which then makes the color grey steel 2 in a matte finish, and this shade is about N7.5.

If i do all this then the blacks, whites,colors and my eyes should be ok

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks so much for your help found the dulux paint at my local store it was a OTS paint named grey steel 2
can't wait to try it all out with 1080p blu ray. I will be using my apple macbook to play it through thunderbolt to hdmi using vlc media player will this work or any tips:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sorry to keep going on just one more thing do i need a black border what are the benefits and whats the best thing to use thanks.

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
sorry to keep going on just one more thing do i need a black border what are the benefits and whats the best thing to use thanks.
The black border (the bigger, the better...) increases the perceived image contrast. The best material to use as a black border is black velvet....of course, as (almost) all things in life, is the most expensive as well.

I would add a masking system for 2,35 movies. The difference in perceived contrast is quite impressive.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi thanks for your help, what is the best color to have on my ceiling, walls and floor with my set up.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Hi thanks so much for your help, how many primer coats do you recommend, and also please can you confirm the dulux paint should be a white paint with a tint of 00NN 53/000 which then makes the color grey steel 2 in a matte finish, and this shade is about N7.5.

If i do all this then the blacks, whites,colors and my eyes should be ok.

thanks so much for your help found the dulux paint at my local store it was a OTS paint named grey steel 2
can't wait to try it all out with 1080p blu ray. I will be using my apple macbook to play it through thunderbolt to hdmi using vlc media player will this work or any tips.
You should prime until the color being painted over is no longer visible through the dried primer. Usually 2 coats will do it unless you are priming over a very strong color or a very dark one. The dry primer should appear as a solid color with no dappling. Be sure to prevent getting runs or sags in the paint during both priming and painting the top coat. If you do get a run or sag lightly blot it while wet and then lightly sand the area with a medium (220 grit) sanding sponge when dry, then put on another coat.

The "Steel 2" color should work a treat for you. Be sure it is in a flat or matte finish. :T

As for using your computer and VLC (which I use every day and love) as an image source, that can be a bit problematic. You see neither of those items is designed to produce a standard video image in terms of gamma, white or black levels as most dedicated DVD players are. This means these values can be off and degrade the image from what it should be. To add to the confusion at least VLC and the PJ can both set contrast, brightness, color and gamma values (and probably the macbook as well). That is a lot of cooks in the kitchen and I don't know which one you should go with to set those values. :dontknow:

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
That is a lot of cooks in the kitchen and I don't know which one you should go with to set those values. :dontknow:
Best to deal only with the projector's settings leaving at default values VLC.

jules3876,

as for the surrounding colors (ceiling, pavement), the darker = the better!! (dark blue, brown, gray e.t.c.)

Happy new year to both of you!!:wave:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi happy new year guys, aaah so sad to here that my vlc and macbook is not a good source to play my 1080p movies from i havn't opened the pj yet may be i will send it back, i was hoping it would be a better picture than my laptop never mind, any tips guy's. Don't want to nuy a blu ray player then buy blu ray films was hopping to download an just watch if yo know what i mean!

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Hi happy new year guys, aaah so sad to here that my vlc and macbook is not a good source to play my 1080p movies from i havn't opened the pj yet may be i will send it back, i was hoping it would be a better picture than my laptop never mind, any tips guy's. Don't want to nuy a blu ray player then buy blu ray films was hopping to download an just watch if yo know what i mean!
I think you may have misunderstood me, VLC is a great player and I assume the macbook will output the signal without physical problems as well; my only point this that they aren't (to the best of my knowledge) set to output a standard video signal such as a DVD player is, and by that I mean the colors, brightness and contrast levels and gamma setting may be a bit off, but these should be correctable and should produce as good an image as a DVD player in most cases. It may take a little tweaking, but I would expect the setup you described would work fine for a video source to a PJ. I think Yiannis has it right, try to do any image correction with the PJ controls and only start looking at tweaking the macbook or VLC settings if the PJ doesn't have the latitude to make the needed corrections by itself.

If you are getting compressed source video from the internet I would suggest you stick with playing it on your macbook; blowing up a compressed image would enlarge the image compression artifacts as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ok harpmaker thanks i will give it a try see how it goes then, will let you know HTS has been a great help would have been lost otherwise :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts