Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two Realistic Mach One speakers. they're pretty old and both of the subwoofers need a new surround. the problem is it sounds like the coil is vibrating against something when i play them. will replacing the surround fix this?

·
Banned
102 Posts
Wow! The Mach Ones were really the shiz-nit of their day! Personally, (since they are sight unseen and unheard) I suggest refoaming them. Parts Express rebuilds speakers for less than replacement drivers which you may or may not need. If the foam is rotted, there is nothing holding the coil stable and rubbing will occur depending on the severity of the rot.

I would try refoaming them myself, those are some nice speakers.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
I have two Realistic Mach One speakers. they're pretty old and both of the subwoofers need a new surround. the problem is it sounds like the coil is vibrating against something when i play them. will replacing the surround fix this?
If the surrounds are bad, the voice coil will rub. If the woofers work, replacing the surrounds will likely be all you need. Don't continue to use them with the coils rubbing, however. You can damage them and if you do the speakers are likely not going to be worth repairing. Re-foaming with new surrounds is not hard if you are good with mechanical work or crafts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts