Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

New to the forum, but reading as much as I can. My main question is I'm using the Radio Shack 33-2055Meter along with a Macbook Pro for calibration. I was looking at the typical connection chart, but can't figure out what I'm supposed to do with the left rca from the radio shack meter? It shows it going to some other device in the picture, but I don't have that. Do I just connect a mini to rca and only hook the right channel to the meter, and then from the output on the soundcard go mini to stereo into my receiver? Sorry for the noob question, but the left channel is throwing me in the diagram. I also was reading that this meter is only good for measurments up to 3khz. I'm trying to sort out my midrange so that shouldn't be a problem. Hopefully I can get my graph up tonight. Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it.

-Andy

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
but the left channel is throwing me in the diagram.
I don't know which diagram you're referring to, but I'll try and sort out your problem.

The Radio Shack meter jack is an RCA mono out. You simply use an RCA cable. The line-in and line-out of your soundcard is typically an 1/8" stereo plug. This means that for both line-out and line-in you require an adapter that breaks out the right and left channel, since you will only be using the right channel. The left channel is never used.

See this guide and also see the REW HELP FILES

brucek

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know which diagram you're referring to, but I'll try and sort out your problem.

The Radio Shack meter jack is an RCA mono out. You simply use an RCA cable. The line-in and line-out of your soundcard is typically an 1/8" stereo plug. This means that for both line-out and line-in you require an adapter that breaks out the right and left channel, since you will only be using the right channel. The left channel is never used.
See this guide and also see the REW HELP FILES

brucek
In your first link, the first image that you come to in the guide shows the left side of the rca going to an "Optional Soundcard calibration loopback". Since I'm not using that then the left side of the rca doesn't get hooked up to anything. I'm just using the right rca going to a 1/8" mini in on the soundcard. Then I go from the 1/8" mini out on the soundcard using a mini to rca cable to my receiver's aux input. Is that correct? I guess the optional loopback was throwing me off.

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
I'm just using the right rca going to a 1/8" mini in on the soundcard. Then I go from the 1/8" mini out on the soundcard
Are these stereo plugs with the right and left channel seperated?

brucek

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are these stereo plugs with the right and left channel seperated?

brucek
Yes, its a y cable pretty much with a 1/8" mini stereo end, and on the split end it's a right and left rca cable. I got it hooked up and made a few graphs. Thanks for the info guys.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts