Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

81 - 100 of 122 Posts

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
I got my paint from Sherwin Williams and had them match the bermuda beige. It turned out fantastic! my screen is 136'
You got in at the right time! Unfortunately, the AAA-F formulation has changed and it will no longer work with Bermuda Beige.

On the plus side, it appears to work with neutral grays.

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
I have not measured the new AAA-F alone with my spectro yet, but that is rather a moot point because that info alone won't tell you how it will affect the color of a base paint. Paint chemistry is quite complex and the end result of mixing two or more colors of paint together can produce surprising results! It's still too early to start publishing definitive results, but adding AAA-F (from this date forward this will always mean the "new" AAA-F) to a paint can either darken or lighten the final color. When the base color goes below ~N7 the mix will get slightly lighter in shade. All this will be documented in time.
I never really thought too much about the AAA measures as it was always my belief that the aluminum would skew it too much.

As for mixes using the new AAA, mine is on the way and should be here by next Monday. I expect Don and I to have this sorted out fairly quickly. :T
Thank you both!!:T

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
I got my paint from Sherwin Williams and had them match the bermuda beige. It turned out fantastic! my screen is 136'
Yes indeed, the old AAA-F works like a charm with a 'Bermuda Beige' base. :T

People are going to have to pay close attention to the batch number of the AAA-F they get until the old version is gone from most inventories so they know what base to use. If in doubt at all please ask us BEFORE mixing!!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Okay, just mixed my SW Gray Screen (32 oz) with 8 oz of AAA-F. Its gray, lol should be right. Okay I put one coat on, do you recommend more than a single coat of this mix?

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Okay, just mixed my SW Gray Screen (32 oz) with 8 oz of AAA-F. Its gray, lol should be right. Okay I put one coat on, do you recommend more than a single coat of this mix?
Generally it takes two coats for people to not see any blotchiness in the screen area, but if the screen looks good to you with one coat there is no reason to add another. :T

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
According to my tracking number, I should get my new AAA today. :T Now Don and I get to have some fun!
I go it and the only thing I've had time to do was to confirm that it is indeed the new formulation. It has an '86' value on the UPC.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Okay I have the older AAA (-55). Will a Wagner HPLV spray gun work? If so do I need a certain size tip?

:wave:
Be sure to use the PPG 'Bermuda Beige' base paint with the older AAA-F to get a neutral gray final mix.

The Wagner HVLP should work fine. A smaller needle/tip produces a finer spray pattern (smaller paint droplets), but the standard 2 mm tips will still make a good screen. The key is to practice spraying with it and to learn how the gun throws paint. You can get inexpensive PVA primers for around $10 a gallon, or even better, many stores sell mis-colored paints for $5 a gallon or less. Use these "throw-away" paints to get an idea of how much to thin latex paints so they will produce a fine mist rather than spitting large droplets of paint. You want the paint to be just thin enough to atomize well, but not so thin it will run or sag after it goes on. Spray large sheets of cardboard for practice, or get a sheet of 1/8" hardboard (about $8).

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Any news/updates regarding the "new" BW mix?
To sum up the results so far you can add the new AAA-F to any shade of neutral gray paint in the standard 4:1 ratio (AAA-F is 20% of the mix) and it will be acceptably neutral.

To make a mix that would be the same as the old Black Widow™ you would add 8 fl. oz. of new AAA-F to a quart of paint tinted to match Glidden 'Veil'.

More testing will be done by both Mech and I, but Mech is super busy (has a growing family) and I have been hit with bronchial pneumonia with a side order of Epstein-Barr virus flare-up and that means a LOT of bed rest with the vaporizer going full blast. :sick:

Stay tuned! There are exciting things in the future for new Black Widow™ mixes! :T

·
Registered
3 Posts
:sad:

Just when I ordered my AAA-F from amazon to mix it with the recommended Bermuda Beige tint I find this post about the change of its formula! :hissyfit:

Harpmaker, please let us know your findings as the tests with the new BW mixes come along, for instance if you find any pros or cons vs. the old BW mix. (If you say that there are exciting things in the future for new Black Widow mixes, I hope that is because you already found something good about it and you don't want to tell us yet :D )

Thanks a lot on behalf of the future BW users.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
My opinion is that we'll see very little difference, if any, in the performance of the new vs. old BW™ formulas. Aluminum is aluminum. Now I just need to find some time to do some painting. I don't have the kind of time I had back when we first came up with BW™ to work on it like I did back then.

The only difference will probably be the ability to go as dark, or as light, as you want.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
:sad:

Just when I ordered my AAA-F from amazon to mix it with the recommended Bermuda Beige tint I find this post about the change of its formula! :hissyfit:
Yep, I know how you feel! I guess the old saying "The only thing that is constant if life is change" is too true. The good news is that we know when AAA-F changed to the new formulation and we can recommend the correct base ('Bermuda Beige' or a neutral gray) simply by knowing the batch number of the AAA-F that is being used.

Harpmaker, please let us know your findings as the tests with the new BW mixes come along, for instance if you find any pros or cons vs. the old BW mix. (If you say that there are exciting things in the future for new Black Widow mixes, I hope that is because you already found something good about it and you don't want to tell us yet :D )
As Mech has already stated, one of the pros of the new AAA-F is that it can be used to make different shades of BW™ that couldn't be done with the old version.

Test results will be posted when we have them. :T

Thanks a lot on behalf of the future BW users.
You are very welcome!!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I still have 4 bottles of the old AAA-F which i may still experiment yet with, and Harpmaker get well soon mate as my girlfriend had that also and it is not good..hoping for a speedy recovery for you. :sn:

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
I still have 4 bottles of the old AAA-F which i may still experiment yet with, and Harpmaker get well soon mate as my girlfriend had that also and it is not good..hoping for a speedy recovery for you. :sn:
Thanks for the well-wishes! Yeah, at the moment I pretty much feel like something that came out of the south end of a northbound Kangaroo. :thud:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Get well soon, Don! Got to watch a lot of movies lately, eh?

Oh and I just got my 2 bottles of AAA-F. And guess what, I was sent a bottle of the old and the new AAA-F. Just my luck, I told myself. Lol.

And when I read about the new BW mixes, I got excited about the lighter shade of the paint. I have a low lumen projector (LG PA70G) so that will help me a lot.

Again, take lots of rest Harp. Hope you're 100% in no time.

81 - 100 of 122 Posts