Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a little trouble with calibrating my Mitsubishi HC1500 projector with the Avia disc.
In basic set-up it has a "saturation/hue" calibration and my projector has no controls for these?
Also, I'm guessing that later in the disc there will be R/G/B calibration and I cannot access the 'Color' or the 'Tint' controls on my projectors "image" menu screen? The controller just skips right over them and they are in white where everything else is in black?
I've done this before with my flat panels but never a projector....thanks for the help.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Re: Help withg Avia calibration disc

Some displays disable color and tint controls depending on the type of input (component, composite, s-video, etc.). Run the AVIA test anyway. You may find that you don't need to make adjustments.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Help withg Avia calibration disc

I will have to borrow a component set from a friend them. As via HDMI it's a no go.
According to the test pattern on the disc I do need some changes. To my eye it is like this:
1. Green -- too much of a push
2. Red -- a little too much of a push
3. Blue -- not enough of a push

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Hey Matt... I'm moving this to the projectors forum. I think one of our mods has a Mits projector and might know more about the settings.

It would sure seem to me that there should be a way to adjust color and tint.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes.
But those color temp settings combined with the 3-color viewer and the saturation/hue test make for an impossible task. Like I said I have calibrated with a disc before and as recently as a year ago with my RPTV DLP, but my t.v.'s have always had controls that made a difference on these tests with one number change.....whereas trying to complete this sat./hue test I pushed the numbers from -30 to +30 and almost NO difference visible?

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, I have to wait until this evening when my one friend gets home from work to borrow a component set. All I have are a bunch of HDMI's and I don't want to buy a set as I'll never use them again most likely.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Matt, are you using the colorbars to check color and tint, or the color decoder check patterns? Does your projector allow you to display only one color at a time while looking at the colorbars? If so, it's the most accurate way to check since the AVIA filters can drift and may not be a good fit for your projector's primary colors to begin with. The reason your projector has no color/tint controls for HDMI is that in theory, the source itself is correctly doing all color processing (this is true of component, too, but many displays do provide color and tint controls for component inputs). There's no colorburst coming in that has to be decoded by the display. Trying to set HDMI color by using component cables probably won't work. If the projector keeps separate memories for each input, adjusting color and tint for component will have NO effect on HDMI.

I sure hope you're not trying to adjust color and tint with the color temperature controls. They're for your grayscale only and the main effect they have on color decoding is to throw off the secondaries-yellow, magenta, and cyan.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Both color bars and color decoder patterns on the Avia, but yes I was using the 'User-Color Temp. controls. I had read online from two users who reported their calibrated levels and initially input them.
I tried altering those to calm the red and green pushes and to saturate the blues more, but to no avail.

So if I cannot change the color of HDMI settings is there anything I can do?

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Transferring settings from other people's sets is very much pointless, for several reasons. Trying to alter color decoding issues that might be affected by tint and color controls with gray scale settings is also pointless, unless you have the right equipment and a lot of experience.

Start by adjusting for proper gray scale and get that right first. If you then have to alter it to compensate for color decoder errors, do it very carefully.

One of your posts above indicates that you may think you can set the color and tint on component then go back to HDMI and expect to retain the effect. This is not the case. I am not familiar with this set specifically, but if the sat and hue are not active for that input they will not have any effect. Most of these sets remember values by input anyway.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Matt,

First off, you won't be able to adjust the color, tint, and sharpness with a HDMI connection. A HDMI connection is the digital signal that is on the disc and needs no adjusting. However the source DVD player may have a faulty HDMI port or a bad decoder, the pj's port may be bad or one of many other numerous things could be wrong with the pj.

What is the source player? How is it connected to the pj? Through an audio receiver? What screen do you have right now?

Here's what I would do:
Hook the HDMI cable directly from the DVD Player to the projector.
Try a different HDMI cable.
Try a different DVD player.

Let us know if any of these things gives you a better picture.

mech

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Matt,

First off, you won't be able to adjust the color, tint, and sharpness with a HDMI connection. A HDMI connection is the digital signal that is on the disc and needs no adjusting. However the source DVD player may have a faulty HDMI port or a bad decoder, the pj's port may be bad or one of many other numerous things could be wrong with the pj.

What is the source player? How is it connected to the pj? Through an audio receiver? What screen do you have right now?

Here's what I would do:

mech

1. Oppo HD80
2. HDMI to my receiver then HDMI to the PJ
3. TV Winter Mist

Will do on the checklist.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
unless you have the right equipment and a lot of experience.

Start by adjusting for proper gray scale and get that right first. If you then have to alter it to compensate for color decoder errors, do it very carefully.

One of your posts above indicates that you may think you can set the color and tint on component then go back to HDMI and expect to retain the effect. This is not the case. I am not familiar with this set specifically, but if the sat and hue are not active for that input they will not have any effect. Most of these sets remember values by input anyway.
1. I don't.
2. How do I do that?
3. I did hope so...thanks.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Matt,

Here's what I would do:

mech
To say that HDMI signals need no adjusting assumes that the projector is perfect at decoding the color, that the source properly passes the signals, and that the originating encoding is correct. It is rarely the case that color decoders are good enough to not need adjustment.

Starting with proper gray scale, however, is the first step to determining what is going on.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
That is what the bias and gain are for.

Use a gray scale pattern from a test disc like GetGray, Avia, or DVE.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
...2. HDMI to my receiver then HDMI to the PJ ...
I don't like to connect the video signals to receiver and then to the display (TV or PJ in this case) ....:surrender::surrender::surrender:

I read somewhere that is best to have video signal directly to display and sound to receiver .... it has to do with conversion of the signal from one source to the other ....

I second the suggestion to connect directly to PJ and to use a different HDMI cable ...

Good Luck ...:wave::wave:

·
Registered
92 Posts
If you do a google for calibration of this model you will find some similar findings.

Set your brightness and contrast as per Avia.

Possible good starting point for settings.
Gamma mode=Cinema
Color Temp=Medium
Brilliant color=0

It is typical for Green and Blue gains to be tracking together from the above settings with Red a little low.
If you dont have measurement tools, use a grey ramp to find where color deviates. Describing color push is very general as a statement as the push could be anywhere in the grey scale.

Although I have never seen this unit in action myself, I believe there is color temp advanced menu to adjust RGB gains/cuts for white balance.

Regards
<^..^>

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
To say that HDMI signals need no adjusting assumes that the projector is perfect at decoding the color, that the source properly passes the signals, and that the originating encoding is correct. It is rarely the case that color decoders are good enough to not need adjustment.

Starting with proper gray scale, however, is the first step to determining what is going on.
I'm definitely guilty of being a bit short in my responses! :hide: I meant to say that the signal needs to be adjusted at the source of decoding for proper color. Meaning that you cannot adjust your Color, Tint, etc. settings at the projector while using the HDMI digital signal.

Matt,

As Leonard and David state, set your gray scale first, plug your OPPO directly into the projector, and if it's still bad try a different HDMI cable.

mech

1 - 20 of 42 Posts