Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tweeked and tweeked, it actually looked alot worse that it does here when I first started making measurements. The Amazing software helped me get it to this point, by messing with location, and the subs own PEQ. I don't have an equeilizer yet, so I'm going to have to live with this for a while. The first one is with the subs crossover on, with the signal coming from the reciver, so double crossover at 80. The second one is the receiver crossover only and the subs disabled. This measurement is the sub only. SVS PC 12 plus. Which one do you like better? I think I read somewhere its wrong to have both crossovers enabled, so what are your thoughts?
post1.jpg
crossoveroff.jpg
Also a full range mesurment for discussions sake.

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
The first one is with the subs crossover on, with the signal coming from the receiver, so double crossover at 80
Why would you do that? The receiver is designed to handle the bass management.

full range one I just mentioned.This with all with the RS 33-2055 meter
Not meaningful, since the RS meter is only usable to 3KHz.

brucek

·
Super Moderator
9,252 Posts

The first one is with the subs crossover on, with the signal coming from the reciver, so double crossover at 80. The second one is the receiver crossover only and the subs disabled. This measurement is the sub only. SVS PC 12 plus. Which one do you like better?
Hmm. Well, looking at the second one, it looks like the receiver's crossover is not working.

This is the full range one I just mentioned.This with all with the RS 33-2055 meter.
As brucek noted, it's only accurate up to about 3 kHz, but it looks like you have a good blend between the mains and sub - at least as good as one can tell with a graph and not being able to actually listen.

The SVS' parametric EQ should work fine, but they are known for their calibration being wonky - i.e., what you get when you turn the knobs isn't consistent with the markings on the dials. You're best bet for setting it would be to use REW's spectrum analysis feature. It'll show you readings in real time as you adjust the EQ.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I notice that using the PEQ on the sub at all loweres spl across the whole graph.
That's a great idea using REW's spectrum analysis feature. I'll try and see if I can figure that out.
I think my receiver's crossover works when watching movies etc, but when it's getting a signal like this for some reason it's not working very well.

What about that huge hole at 45hz, it seemed that no matter where I put the sub within the room I still had that hole at 45.

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
would do that because as you can see the receiver is doing a terrible job at managing the crossover.
Then you should find out why.

Perhaps there's a fault, or you may have a setting incorrect.

You can use REW to take a loopback measurement of your receiver through the receivers sub out jack (similar to what you did when you measured a loopback cable when checking the soundcard calibration file validity, except you'll use your receiver instead of the loopback cable).

That's a great idea using REW's spectrum analysis feature.
Actually it's the RTA feature you use, not the Spectrum Analyser.

Once your levels are all set up for a normal measurement with REW, select the Spectrum Tab and start the Generator and select Pink PN.

Then set all the options shown on the jpg below. Then select the Red Record button. The RTA is running now.

brucek

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, I needed the guidance on exactly how to run the RTA and get it running for this. I'll do that soon, it should be fun to mess with the PEQ and see changes real time! Which one of the peaks do you think I should try to fix with my subs PEQ?

About the crossover, my receivers manaul says to set the crossover as high as possible to take advantage of the receivers bass management. Maybe sony knows that its not good, and a higher setting works better for it.
Anywho, I'll check it through a loopback just as you sugested and I'll find out just what it is doing with the crossover.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts