Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys:

I registered a while back, but I am just now getting around to posting. I was referred to this site by a know-it-all car stereo installer with poor English skills named Rodny Alvarez.

I’ve been a long-time audio nut—getting into car audio about 18 years ago. After battling the acoustical nightmare that is the automobile interior, I have a really poor reference when it comes to home audio. We remodeled our small lining room—about 10’X 15’—about two years ago, and while in the process, I built the home theatre into the room.

For my strained law school budget, I think I did the best that I could. I went with one of the lower-end HK AV receivers, with signal input via Toslink from a PS3 and an HD DirecTV receiver. The front stage consists of Yamaha MTM in-walls for the right and left and a Yamaha 3-way plate for the center. (The funny thing is that the MTM’s are sold as centers and I am using these as L&R, and the three-way plates are sold in pairs. I thought the MTM plates would be a bit more substantial, and I got the three-way plate for next to nothing, being that it was used as a showroom display.)

In the rear, I have Yamaha round recessed plates in the ceiling, and rounding out the bottom-end is a Klipsch 12” powered sub. As I said, this was designed around a budget and what I felt was a decent quality setup at the time. When redoing the sheetrock, I placed stud braces in the walls to serve as in-wall enclosures. Then, I double-sided both sides of the sheetrock for added rigidity and gave the enclosures a liberal amount of Polyfil.

For such a small room, it’s decent. I have been happy with everything—considering the investment—and to be honest, the sub satisfies my inner bass-head. (There is one part in the final fight scene of Transformers where the sub will knock things off the walls. Another great low-end moment in cinema is in Benjamin Buttons where the tugboat got blasted by the horn of a large ocean liner.) However, I know that my modest collection is humbled by nearly all of you guys, and I in no way consider this to be audiophile grade.

Anyway guys, glad to be here!

Davy Hay

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Welcome to Home Theater Shack!

Howdy there partner and welcome to the Shack!

We hope you find yourself hanging with us regularly... :T

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Hello Davy, Welcome aboard!

Enjoy your stay with us.

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
Welcome Davy. Have fun. Dennis

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know CKR is keeping him pretty busy. That is where I met him when I was an installer there in 1998-2001. Rodny helped me build my first set custom fiberglass parts way back when.

I saw him several weeks ago when i stopped by the shop. He heard that I was running Behringer processors in my BMW M3--DCX2496 and DEQ2496--and he wanted to checl it out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts