Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I'm looking around the net for info and resources. I just joined Audio Asylum and AudioKara as well. Here's the same intro I'm giving them:

OK, so I'm new here and I'm gonna start cruising around the forums looking for what I'm looking for, but I thought I'd introduce myself and ask for some tips on where to look.

First, I'm a career NCO in the Army and I've traveled all over the world with the limited equipment I have and have enjoyed it everywhere I've been from barracks to tiny apartments in Korea. I'm married and I've got three kids with a fourth on the way, so all of my decisions regarding audio equipment presuppose that the stuff I run is durable, relatively kid proof, and capable of producing awesome movie performance.

All of the equipment I have I either bought from my dad or inherited from him when he died, or bought under his direction. He was the hifi nuthead in the family, and I am seriously lacking in this department.

We are closing on our first house this week, and it's a little different from places we've lived before in that the living room is fairly shallow. We might knock down a wall between the living room and sitting room to fix this, but not for a year or so.

So, here's what I've got, and what I need to do.

What I have:

1 pair Klipsch Cornwall, circa 1979. My main speakers for home theater, karaoke, loud music, and impressing guests. They are furniture, as probably all of you know, absolutely gigantic. I love them every time I crank them up.

Harmon Kardon AVR 45. Older 5.1 channel receiver, 65 watts/channel, does the job as far as the Cornwalls are concerned. Thinking of upgrading, but not sure I need to.

1 pair Klipsch KSB 1.1 bookshelves. Currently these are in my RV paired with a computer subwoofer as general purpose speakers for my Zune. We are, however, selling the RV, so these can be repurposed for rears or center channel as needed.

1 pair Altec Lansing Santana speakers. They're like end tables. In fact, I think I might like to use them as end table / rear speakers. I know I sacrifice some verisimilitude by placing rears next to seating, but they do make nice furniture

1 pair Dahlquist DQ-10. I have been driving these with a Kenwood 100wpc receiver and playing my vinyl on them. They sound pretty good. The original Advent 10in woofers were replaced with Advent 12in woofers by a previous owner. I'd love to make these my primary front speakers and stick the Klipsch in storage for a couple of years, but I'm not sure I can afford a receiver / amp that will push them properly for the job. Also, I doubt their ability to perform as a home theater speaker, and am pretty well resigned to sticking them in the sitting room and playing my vinyl through them as before. Any ideas?

Other than that, I have a nice Phillips 52in 120hz LCD, a quality Blu-Ray player, and a pretty sweet Korean Karaoke Machine.

The Cornwalls and DQ-10s I think of as heirlooms and will not part with. Realistically I expect to continue to use them indefinitely. I am aware, however, that the Kenwood does not remotely do the DQ-10s justice. I'd love some input on an inexpensive amplifier that would do a better job in a fairly small room, playing exclusively vinyl, or a more expensive option that would allow me to use them as my primary home theater / karaoke speaker.

I should note that, as a career enlisted man my salary is not really that impressive. I go to Iraq every once in a while and get a boost in pay from that, and I can usually put together some scratch during these times to indulge myself a little. Last deployment bought be an Opel GT. This one might by me an amp.

Well, that's the long winded intro. If anyone has some ideas on threads to look at, other forums to visit, or specific component / set up ideas, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks in advance to anyone who reads this and replies.
NCOs lead the way!

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Welcome to the Shack! We're happy to have you! I believe you'll find what you need here.... Enjoy :T

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
Great to have you here. Have fun. Dennis

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Welcome to Home Theater Shack!

Howdy there partner and welcome to the Shack!

We hope you find yourself hanging with us regularly... :T

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
I think the information is overwhelming... :dumbcrazy: No offense intended... it is simply the nature of forums.

I am having a hard time figuring out exactly what you are wanting to do or trying to obtain. Are you basically looking to improve your home theater experience and want to know where to start based on what you have? I would try our Home Theater System Recommendations forum. If you just want to consider upgrading your receiver or power requirements then try our Home Theater Receivers | Processors | Amps forum.

I hope that helps at least some. :T

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Welcome to the Shack. Looks like you have lots of good stuff.
I'm with Sonnie,... give us an idea of what you are looking to do and we can probably give you lots of help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts