Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm still new to EQ calibration and I hail from Singapore. I did a lot of groundwork trying to find solid, capable equipments that can assist me in calibrating my HT.

My initial plan is to first get a couple of equipment plus REW to get myself started on EQ cali.

Mic - Earthworks M30 Measurement Microphone (freq resp - 5Hz - 30kHz)
AI - TASCAM US-322 2-In/2-Out USB Audio Interface (freq resp - 10 - 68kHz)
the standard XLR cables and connectors
Software - REW

extras:
Phonic PAA6 Dual Channel Digital Audio Analyzer (Undecided if I want to get this ATM)

Probably I will do more reading up in REW forums and research before going down this road... as I've heard EQ calibration ain't gonna be easy.. but the rewards are worth it. :sn:

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
Wow, you dont NEED the EW M30 but if you want to spend that kind of money you can. You could always just buy a MiniDSP Umik mic for under $100. But the EW M30 is an awesome mic also.

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
Welcome to Home Theater Shack! Please visit us often.

I had the pleasure of visiting Singapore on a business trip in January of 2000 and really enjoyed my stay.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Welcome to HTS....:wave:

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Welcome to the Home Theater Shack. You are on the right path. The REW forums are the place to read up on REW and ask your questions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, you dont NEED the EW M30 but if you want to spend that kind of money you can. You could always just buy a MiniDSP Umik mic for under $100. But the EW M30 is an awesome mic also.
I heard there might be some issue with noisy capture using the Umik... so I went into full paranoid mode and hunted for the best microphone there is, although i must admit myself its way overkill... :hsd:

Anyway, I haven't ordered anything yet so I might still change my mind and settle for a cheap but decent mike.

Does anybody know what this is and what is it used for? I read on other forums that they use this for their EQ calibration as well, although they never specified its usage... (not enough post counts for pics/links)

amazon.com/dp/B0023CA3J6/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2GLB5MNUDJ569&coliid=I1PDAY516FP5BS

ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71wMggIePaL._SL1500_.jpg

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
It is an expensive audio analyser. Although I would take the REW over it with a M30 any day. There are always better mics out there but nothing beats free software that is very accurate such as REW.

When it comes to microphones and testing software the sky is the limit. It is also a matter of choosing one and utilizing it the best way you can.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It is an expensive audio analyser. Although I would take the REW over it with a M30 any day. There are always better mics out there but nothing beats free software that is very accurate such as REW.

When it comes to microphones and testing software the sky is the limit. It is also a matter of choosing one and utilizing it the best way you can.
well said. thanks for the info. :wave:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts