Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody. Where do I start? As my profile says, I'm a movie lover like everyone here would be. I'm an ex projectionist for Birch Carroll and Coyle Indooroopilly. I worked there for 3 years from 2003 to 2006 and it is the best job I've ever had. I got out of it just when the 1st digital projector turned up. So yes I come from the film days. Very sad to see it dying out. At the time I could see the future of cinema projection turning to digital which it almost entirely has so I decided to move on into a career that had a future while I still could. I loved known that I was a part of the last step in the filmmaking process. I'm also an independent filmmaker.

Ever since the 1st time I saw a projection room, I've been trying to make my own cinema at home. I currently have a nice setup for the size of my house. I have an anamorphic 2.35:1 screen that is 3m wide. I bought the Panasonic projector mainly because of its motorised zoom and focus to give me a CIH. It's a perfectly sized room for the 3m scope screen. My sound system is mediocre but my plan is to create a much bigger dedicated room and then I will upgrade my speakers and purchase power amps etc. I chose the Marantz receiver as it will work nicely in the new room. I'm also planning to have a 5m scope screen, 18 cinema chairs (which I already got from a cinema for nothing), 3 tiered seating, curtains and side masking, soundproofing and acoustic treatment etc etc.

So anyway I'll put up pics of my build when I begin it. I've pretty much research everything I need but the main area I’m falling short in is automation. I'd love to be able to control everything from the 1 place like an Ipad or something. I notice that the projector has RS-232 and an input for control from a computer. How would I get some sort of Ipad-ish type controller to communicate with projector, receiver, blu ray player? What are other people using?

Anyway I know I've gone way overboard for an introductory thread. Looking forward to chatting with you all, learning and building the cinema I've always wanted.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Welcome to the Home Theater Shack. The system recommendations forum would be a good place to ask your questions. I think running it via computer software with an iPad controller app would integrate easy enough.

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
Hello and welcome to HTS. :wave:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts