Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I'm Eric and new to this forum but I've been a member of the Polk forum and the Carver Audio forum for sometime now. I was surfing the web when I came across this forum...looks like a bunch of great people, willing to share their knowledge.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Hi Eric, Welcome aboard.

Enjoy your stay

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
Welcome, Eric. Old story: in the late 70's or early 80's I was a bench tech at a electronics repair shop. We always measured total output, distortion, etc on every amp we fixed. I only got to work on one Carver, it had a bad Dolby chip. It turned out to have the best amp I tested there. It had far more power than advertised, plus, the distortion level was almost non-existent! Dennis

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Hey, I live in South Carolina too, I have looked around on the Polk forums but I am not a member.
Hi Mike,
I live in Gaffney, right off I85 and just a few miles south of the North Carolina border. I'm about 2 hours from you. About 8 months ago I drove to Columbia to pick up a trashed pair of Carver Amazings which I'm in the process of rebuilding now. All 8 woofers were blown, the crossovers were shot, and the ribbons were missing. But, I only paid $25 for the pair.:bigsmile:

Oh yea! Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome, Eric. Old story: in the late 70's or early 80's I was a bench tech at a electronics repair shop. We always measured total output, distortion, etc on every amp we fixed. I only got to work on one Carver, it had a bad Dolby chip. It turned out to have the best amp I tested there. It had far more power than advertised, plus, the distortion level was almost non-existent! Dennis
Hey Dennis, I've been a fan of Bob Carver since he work with Phase Linear and just love his equipment. I'm running three of his amps, a preamp, and a CD player right now. I could spend thousands of dollars on new equipment and not get the quality or sound of the Carver equipment. IMO, Carver is the best. Plus nothing can beat the combination of Carver equipment and Polk speakers. They seem to compliment each other. I have never seen a combination that work so good together.:jump:

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
I would love to hear some of his new amps/receivers. I love the downtracking amp circuitry, very clever. Dennis

·
Registered
733 Posts
sure I know where Gaffney is! sounds like a great deal on those speakers, have fun rebuilding them.
which polks do you have? I just picked up a pair of LSi9's to go with my LSiC

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
sure I know where Gaffney is! sounds like a great deal on those speakers, have fun rebuilding them.
which polks do you have? I just picked up a pair of LSi9's to go with my LSiC
Here's a list of the Polk speakers I own:

SRS SDA 2.3TL (1991) fronts on my main rig
SDA 2B (1987) rears on my main rig
RTA 8TL (1992) fronts on my bedroom rig
Monitor 7C (1979) 2-channel setup in my office
Monitor 5 series 2 (1990) rears on my bedroom rig
Monitor 5jr (1985) one speaker is the center channel on my main rig and the other is center for my bedroom rig
Monitor 4.5 (1987) 2-channel setup in my workshop

The LSi9's IMO are the best sounding speakers in the LSi line. What kind of equipment are you using to drive the LSi9's? As you can see I'm a little old school and prefer the older equipment.

Eric

·
Registered
733 Posts
Here's a list of the Polk speakers I own:

SRS SDA 2.3TL (1991) fronts on my main rig
SDA 2B (1987) rears on my main rig
RTA 8TL (1992) fronts on my bedroom rig
Monitor 7C (1979) 2-channel setup in my office
Monitor 5 series 2 (1990) rears on my bedroom rig
Monitor 5jr (1985) one speaker is the center channel on my main rig and the other is center for my bedroom rig
Monitor 4.5 (1987) 2-channel setup in my workshop

The LSi9's IMO are the best sounding speakers in the LSi line. What kind of equipment are you using to drive the LSi9's? As you can see I'm a little old school and prefer the older equipment.

Eric
I am using an onkyo tx sr805 receiver to power the polks, these replaced a set of boston acoustics HD9's.
In my bedroom I have a pair of mid 90's B&W bookshelf speakers (I don't remember the model) connected to a yamaha receiver.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am using an onkyo tx sr805 receiver to power the polks, these replaced a set of boston acoustics HD9's.
In my bedroom I have a pair of mid 90's B&W bookshelf speakers (I don't remember the model) connected to a yamaha receiver.
I have an Onkyo HT-R500 in my bedroom and an old Yamaha RX-930 in my workshop but my main rig is powered by mostly Carver along with a Carver HR-742 receiver in my office.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts