Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has been answered before, but at age 61 I can't spend a lot of time reading post treads in depth and for that I apologies and I have tried to find this info through my stupid searches.
I want to use REW to auto graph my system. What do I need besides a laptop and the DL?
Thank you for your patience with this newbie.:wits-end:
Hal

·
Friend of the Shack
1,356 Posts
Hi Hal,

All your questions will be answered in the REW guide. It's at the top of all HTS pages, and I'll link you to it here. It's well-written and accurate. It has a lot of good information and you should be able to skip around to the parts with the required parts for hookup. Let us know if you have questions from there!

Welcome!

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
What do I need besides a laptop and the DL?
What's a DL?

You need an external USB soundcard that has a line-in and a line-out capability, an SPL meter (Radio Shack or Galaxy CM-140) and cabling.

If you plan on taking a response of the system full range, the Galaxy meter would be required as the RS meter is inaccurate at higher frequencies (~5KHZ max). The cabling depends on the type of connectors of your soundcard and receiver.

You will need to read the REW Help files. No gettin' around it I'm afraid....

brucek

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the help. Any recommendations for a low cost USB sound module that will work with this?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you recommend the analog or digital SPL meter from Radio Shack? There is only $5.00 difference in price.

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
The analog model is much easier to read the meter, but since you're using REW, I don't see much difference. Others may have a different opinion though.

brucek

1 - 9 of 9 Posts