Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like many others I presume, REW brought me here. I'm not a big home theater fan myself, although that will come soon enough. I'm more of a stereo guy, both speakers and headphones.

I moved into a new apartment with absolutely horrible acoustics - several 30 dB or so nulls in my bass & mid-bass - and that has prompted me to finally move into the world of acoustic treatment and measurement. That's the nice thing about headphones - you never have to deal with any of this...

My main system currently consists of the following:

Infinity Renaissance 90 speakers
Eico HF-12 mono integrated tube amps (a pair) for mids/highs
Adcom GFA-555 for the current-hungry 10" Watkins woofer.
Carver C-11 pre-amp
Carver TX-11 tuner
Dual CS-505 turntable
Sony BDP-s580 for Blu-Ray, CD, SACD, & DLNA streaming
Nook Color running Cyanogen 7 as the DLNA remote
WD MyBook Live 3TB serving up music for DLNA (LAME V0 mp3s converted from my archival FLAC rips - I'd stream FLAC directly if I could, but that'd be for peace of mind more than any actual audible difference, as I've never been able to distinguish the two on anything but killer samples.)

I spend about equal times listening to that system and my headphones - Sennheiser HD 600s powered by an iBasso PB1 Toucan, fed by a Clip+. It's my portable reference system.

Of course I've got other stuff, but this is what I spend the vast majority of my time listening with.

As an engineer (I graduated from Michigan State in 2010 with a B.S. in mechanical engineering and am now a pump design engineer), I'm an objectivist. That means no silly money spent on cables, competent digital sources and amplifiers sound indistinguishable (note that things like high output impedance obviously do make a difference), etc., although I do believe that the placebo effect means that visual and other non-sonic differences (price, etc.) cause actual perceived differences in what we hear. It's just that when you take away those cues that the previously audible differences disappear. That obviously doesn't go over so well everywhere... But I get by; at this point I've mostly given up on the "someone is wrong on the internet" mindset all of us have experienced at one point or another.

The photo is from a couple of years ago - I've significantly culled the flock since then. The Renaissance 90s (the black ones second from outside) are here to stay, though! They're a special breed indeed.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Glad you could join us, Blackbeard Ben!

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. Have fun. Dennis

1 - 9 of 9 Posts