Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I have the crazy idea to produce 4.0 audio material in my homestudio and for the best possible sound I want to use digital room correction. Therefore I need to amp all the speakers seperately, of course. And that's why I want to build an amplifier with 8 in and outputs for my four 2-way speakers. I don't want to spend too much time, money and space, so I'd like to use chipamps - if possible they should already be mounted on a module...

For the low frequencies 2 of the LM4780 seem to be a good choice. I already found complete modules to buy on the internet. (I'm not allowed to post an URL here, yet. But I guess, you already know how that stuff looks like.)

Now, I'm about to look for a chipamp for the tweeters. The 60 Watts the "gainclones" can deliver seem a bit extreme to me for a tweeter that wouldn't be able to reproduce 10 Watts max, and I wonder if there are other chipamps with the same excellent reputation and features of the LM1875, LM3875, LM3886, …and so on…, but designed for a maximum output at about 15 Watts, or so.

Any idea?

Greets!
Mitsch

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Mmmh - I thought I alread checked the technical data of the LM 1875, but it seems I wasn't... It's just 20 Watts of output power... Is it possible to reduce the max output by lowering V+- (without killing the good sound of the chip)?

And what do you think about the TDA2030?

Which one of those offer better sound quality in frequencies between 5 and ~25 kHz?

Greets!
Mitsch

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts
Subscribed... I am thinking of running chip amps for driving my La Scalas in my HT.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Why not consider some class A designs for a tweeter? That's what I am currently doing. I was using 6V6 PP amps for my biamped tweeters and want to move to SS because the cost of tubes is getting too high and the quality is going down as well.

So good designs here, both class A and class B.

http://sound.westhost.com/projects-0.htm#pwr

1 - 6 of 6 Posts