Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Do High audio cables make a difference?

• Yes, the difference is clearly audible and an improvement.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The difference is clearly audible, but not an improvement

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 234 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reactions: 3dbinCanada

·
Banned
4,557 Posts
Fairly bold piece.

I've only invested in wires to the extent that I want a decent build quality that stays tightly connected and doesn't fall apart.

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
Ron, you're naughty. But please post this once a day.
"To audiophiles, the equivalent of making sausage"!!!!!!!! Wow that was hilarious! I'm going back to read the Nelson Pass article.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Also, I agree with Todd. Good quality construction, for effectiveness and longevity.

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ron, you're naughty. But please post this once a day.
"To audiophiles, the equivalent of making sausage"!!!!!!!! Wow that was hilarious! I'm going back to read the Nelson Pass article.

Also, I agree with Todd. Good quality construction, for effectiveness and longevity.
>:)

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fairly bold piece.

I've only invested in wires to the extent that I want a decent build quality that stays tightly connected and doesn't fall apart.
I agree, but I have also had wires that were so tight that they pulled off the outer shell on the AVR. The ones I had this experience with were Monster Cables. I have since eliminated all Monster Cables from my setup.

I am a firm believer that the differences people hear are from the Ohm, impedance, and resistance of the cables interaction with the output impedance and input impedance of the equipment being tested. I discovered this years ago when i went from a tube preamp to a Classe Audio DR-6 preamp, and saw all the differences disappear (but not the sound). I looked at Classe Audio reasoning and it made perfect sense. If the output impedance is lower than the input impedance on the other end of the cable the cable makes zero audible difference. We even went, and inserted the tube preamp (Audible Illusions 3, previous versions I owned were 2b, 2c, 2d, 3), and all made big audible differences in cables. The differences were so big you could pick it out over 90% of the time, but not at all with the Classe Audio Solid State Amp.

What do you think?

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
I've never bought into the "Audiophile Wires/Cables". A good quality, well built wire/cable is fine for me.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I've made cables when I need to and always found that the overpriced cables are just that "overpriced" I can make as good if not better cables than I can buy for a reasonable price.

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've made cables when I need to and always found that the overpriced cables are just that "overpriced" I can make as good if not better cables than I can buy for a reasonable price.
I agree...cables are not that hard to make, and will most likely be better quality than reasonable priced cables from your local store.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I remember when I first got into HT. I went into a boutique store, bought my Yamaha RXV-795a (still using it today) & Klipsch speakers & the guy tries to sell me High End cables. Now I don't blame him...a guy's gotta eat. But, he doesn't quote me any objective or subjective data. He says cables should come to about 10% of what the equipment costs! I knew right then that the cable industry was snake oil!

If you think about it, why would some company make a great cable and a lesser cable. They would try to make the best product the can and market it. Patents are good for 10 years...then you can be copied...markets force competition, prices come down. So how do these boutique cable companies stay in business? By finding a way to re-invent the wheel and sell again!

Now I am not saying not to buy what ever it is that you want. There is always a lot of pride that we feel about our systems. Some cables look very nice and some are priced accordingly. We should always buy what we makes us happy. If it makes a difference to you, case settled.

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I remember when I first got into HT. I went into a boutique store, bought my Yamaha RXV-795a (still using it today) & Klipsch speakers & the guy tries to sell me High End cables. Now I don't blame him...a guy's gotta eat. But, he doesn't quote me any objective or subjective data. He says cables should come to about 10% of what the equipment costs! I knew right then that the cable industry was snake oil!

If you think about it, why would some company make a great cable and a lesser cable. They would try to make the best product the can and market it. Patents are good for 10 years...then you can be copied...markets force competition, prices come down. So how do these boutique cable companies stay in business? By finding a way to re-invent the wheel and sell again!

Now I am not saying not to buy what ever it is that you want. There is always a lot of pride that we feel about our systems. Some cables look very nice and some are priced accordingly. We should always buy what we makes us happy. If it makes a difference to you, case settled.
I remember seeing the 10% rule years ago too. I always ignored it as I wasn't about to spend $2k for wires on my stereo setup, unless I could hear a significantly better difference than with good quality cables.

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
Something I've always wondered, which was touched on a little in the article is, if magic cables are so great, why don't any OEM's endorse/advertise/manufacture, etc? I've asked this of many magic cable fans, and none will answer. (I already know the answer lol. Shhh)

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Something I've always wondered, which was touched on a little in the article is, if magic cables are so great, why don't any OEM's endorse/advertise/manufacture, etc? I've asked this of many magic cable fans, and none will answer. (I already know the answer lol. Shhh) Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
More over if you open up any speaker you'll find plain old copper wire.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Can't say any one of those options really is one I want to check off as a stand alone response, but even though I don't buy into such silly cables, I answered with the bank account difference as that's the one thing you can count on....the rest is usually about aesthetics and/or taking advantage of the easily fooled.

Reactions: NBPk402

·
Premium Member
5,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Can't say any one of those options really is one I want to check off as a stand alone response, but even though I don't buy into such silly cables, I answered with the bank account difference as that's the one thing you can count on....the rest is usually about aesthetics and/or taking advantage of the easily fooled.
Sorry, I thought I had made the poll to where you could write in another opinion, but I guess I didn't, and I don't see a way to do it now. :(

·
Registered
110 Posts
Makes a difference in my setup but so do the " guess you call them "inexpensive cables" (only since price is the really driving factor for the debate a heart) As long as I get my desired end result then I'm as right as rain!

Signed
An Audiophile (not a "Fool" I just pursue Hi fidelity music playback with passion)

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Talk about negative choices :laugh2:

Frankly I can hear the difference even with sunglasses on at night...in the rain....during a snowstorm. Just 5 seconds into one of my favorite cd's of Yoko Ono and I can feel the goose flesh coming on while my bit toe shoots up in my boot. It is amazing I tell you and they are only $7500 per foot times two for the pair....with banana plugs.

Y'all are missin out ya know !!

Reactions: NBPk402

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
If it's well constructed, it makes no difference! I am firmly in the "Don't want no Snake Oil" camp.

Decided to make my own speaker cables out of some Belden 14/2, some Techflex to dress 'em up, a little heat shrink and some pretty gold-plated connectors. Coiled 'em up on my desk at work when I was done making them, and someone walked in, and just the look on their face told me all I needed to know - "Those cables look very expensive!" I think my total investment for 3 speakers cables (Front LR and Center) was right around $40 not counting the heat gun and soldering iron with that fancy "knife" tip for cutting the Techflex - long-term investment, me thinks.

I seriously cannot imagine my cables would "sound" much different than ones costing hundreds of dollars a foot - as an electrical engineer, that just doesn't make sense to me.

Now, if I can just find some of those neat little glass insulators to hold these things up off the floor...

1 - 20 of 234 Posts