Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been sitting on some really nice (I think?) car stereo gear for 10-12 years now, and I’ve finally given up on the idea that I’ll ever get the motivation to do another installation myself, as I did in times past. So I’m looking towards having a system put in my 2003 Town Car, probably next year if not sooner. I have a new-in-the-box set of a/d/s/ 345is component speakers and a 5-channel Soundstream Rubicon 555 amp that will comprise the basis of the system.

But in the mean time I’m really tired of the way the stock system sounds. The stock speakers have a nice “honk” in the 2-4 kHz range that just grates on my ears. So, I’m wondering if it would be worthwhile to go ahead and have the speakers installed in the meantime.

I guess I’m wondering of the stock head unit will be able to handle the speakers. a/d/s/ spec’d the 345is at 90 dB sensitivity with a 15 watt minimum power requirement. Does the stock head unit put out enough power to drive them to decent levels, or will there be a significant SPL loss?

If you guys think this is viable, my next challenge naturally is going to be finding a good local installer, and one that will let me bring in my own gear. Since aftermarket car stereo seems to have gone the way of the dinosaur (can’t say I miss the “boom” cars at all), I imagine most good installers have moved on to new careers. I have an innate mistrust of sole proprietor “hole in the wall” outfits, because there is little accountability if it turns out they did a bad job, compared to a place like Best Buy where you can usually get satisfaction from upper management.

I’ve never even heard these speakers! I was looking for something really high end at the time, something significantly better than the MB Quarts I was using, and the guy I was conversing with then told me that I’d have to move up to Dynaudio to get anything appreciable better than this a/d/s/ set, which listed for twice the price of the a/d/s/ speakers, IIR. I’m going to be greatly disappointed if I don’t like them!

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Wayne, I say give those A/D/S speakers the juice they deserve.

Can you throw a meter on the outputs and check? Many stock head units put out only a few watts. You are going to get 15-16 watts, at best. If it is a Bose unit, there could be a severe impedance mismatch.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sir I come from a car audio back ground and the a/d/s set should be amazing on the correct power. Your town car will more than likely put out 15rms max, IMO you aren't doing them justice without putting rated power or more to them. For installers head on over to the DIYMA forums there are some fantastic ones down in Texas. Hope this helps a little bit.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
any closer to your install ?? - I agreed w previous that you really need the amp to drive your speakers.. I would also invest in a nice head unit ...they arent too expensive (unless your head unit has proprietary automotive controls) ...in short - have it done right by a qualified pro but by all means AVOID CAR TOYS at all cost....:eek:lddude:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Before you run out and try to swap these yourself, please consider this.

At one time or another Ford/Lincoln when using their JBL systems had the "amps" built into the speakers themselves as an attempt to make it difficult to replace stock drivers with aftermarket. This may long since have been many years prior to your 2003 TC, but wanted to "help" in whatever manner I can. As already stated, it will likely better suit your a/d/s set and your ears by holding out and going with the complete system other than a simple driver/set exchange/swap.

Regards,

Pat

·
Super Moderator
9,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Thanks for the input, Pat and RTS. :T

Nope, still don’t have the system in. We unexpectedly had to buy a new car, so I’m working on getting that paid off. After that it’ll be a new kitchen floor for the wife – she’s been patiently waiting for ten years whilst kindly allowing me to accumulated a bunch of expensive bass guitars, with nary a complaint. So it’s her turn.

I do expect to move forward on this before the year’s out, though. I plan to use the stock head unit, along with a JBL interface / processor like Sonnie put in his truck a while back. I have no indication to believe this is one of those Ford/JBL systems, so all should go well. Thanks for the tip about Car Toys, I’ll definitely avoid them!

Regards,
Wayne

1 - 8 of 8 Posts