Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have two sound cards, an fairly expensive RME HDSP 9632, which is a pretty high end PCI sound card made by a German Company called RME and an inexpensive external USB Sound card, the M-Audio Fast Track Pro. With the M-Audio, I got an almost perfectlly flat response with a drop off around 20,000 khz, which was great.

However, when I tested my main card, which has much higher specs on the D/A and A/D converters and is very basic but high end, I got a very strange reading every time I did the test. Instead of the flat response the other card gave me, this card gave me the following:

1) From about 3Hz to 200Hz it started at 0 and then went up slowly to 5 db at about halfway to 200Hz and then back down to 0 at 200. Then it got wierder. From 200Hz all the way up to 20,000Khz, it curved up and down like a sine wave between 0 and 4-5 db all the way from 200 to 20,000 with the peaks getting closer and closer the higer the frequency until they were smashed together at 20,000. There seemed to be a rough total of 50 or so sine-like curves between 0 and 5dbs all the way up.

Just to let you know, the trace adjustment on both cards was set to "none." I noticed with the RME, that when I change the trace adjustment setting to 1/1, the the response graph was almost flat from 20 to 20,000, except with a slight bump at around 600Hz.

Has anyone had a sound card give them a strange reading anything like this. Does anyone have any ideas what settings I might have wrong? The RME's software interface and Mixer is much more sophisticated than the M-Audio's (the first card I tested) and there are a lot of settings that may impact the outcome. I wrote to RME and told them what happened and they couldn't tell me just from the data, they wanted to see the graph, but I couldn't find a way to print the graph; so another question I have is, does anyone know how to print the calibration graphs from within Room EQ Wizard or how to export them to print them another way? I found that CTRL-P did not work within the Room EQ Wizard software.

By the way, I'm using Windows 7 64-bit, and Room EQ Wizard works fine on it. As I said, I have the two audio cards, but I primarily use the RME. I actually tested the RME first because I keep the other card disabled except when I need to do something in Pro Tools. I only tested the M-Audio because I wanted to see if it would give me different readings than my RME and, as I said, it gave perfectly flat readings. But there are no sophisticated settings in a Software Control Panel and Mixer as there are in the RME.

Any ideas anyone? I can always test the room with the M-Audio, but the response of my higher quality card concerns me and I don't want to record with it if there is a problem with it. If no one has any experience in this forum, my best bet is to send the graphs to the manufacturer, but as I said, I can't figure a way to print them, so if anyone can even help me just figure out how to do that, I would be most grateful.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
marsx

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.