Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
High excursion driver discussion- Sundwon Audio ZV4- Stereo Integrity (vaporware) - FI SP4 HT...
Anyone with first hand experience with one or the other, or both?

I'd like to hear all opinions on the FI sp4 vs the zv4.

18" driver
3750 Peavey watts per sub

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
PDX I wonder what else we or you can find out about PSI spiders and the ZV4?

In regards to the SP4 vs ZV4 I would take either according to budget. BUT in saying that I still wonder if FI got rid of there huge inductance hump. Others have it also but not near as severe. I believe the ZV4 has Faraday rings also.

And according to FI the 15 also has 10" 5 layer spiders. I thought Sundown had this only on the 18 and 9" on the 15?

BUT I have never heard of the SP4 HT version. Just the SP4. Curious on the SP4 mechanical clearances though. I know the ZV4's and I believe Jacob was saying it can be used well past 35mm. SP4 with 33mm is almost the same for $100 less. BUT I would compare the Sundown X series against the SP4. Then with the clearance of the X it would have more useable excursion compared to the SP4. I say useable because Jacob said the ZV4 could do close to 40mm with a change of something.(spider maybe) And then with 62.5mm.....makes for a great sub to pound on for anyone before damaging.

Budget becomes the real comparison. For me the X is the winner. I wish I could afford the ZV4 but that is a $200 upgrade over the X series.

I have been modelling the X vs ZV4 for a few hours last night. Ever since I saw your posts about spider changes and the ZV4. :T

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
PDX I wonder what else we or you can find out about PSI spiders and the ZV4?

In regards to the SP4 vs ZV4 I would take either according to budget. BUT in saying that I still wonder if FI got rid of there huge inductance hump. Others have it also but not near as severe. I believe the ZV4 has Faraday rings also.

And according to FI the 15 also has 10" 5 layer spiders. I thought Sundown had this only on the 18 and 9" on the 15?

BUT I have never heard of the SP4 HT version. Just the SP4. Curious on the SP4 mechanical clearances though. I know the ZV4's and I believe Jacob was saying it can be used well past 35mm. SP4 with 33mm is almost the same for $100 less. BUT I would compare the Sundown X series against the SP4. Then with the clearance of the X it would have more useable excursion compared to the SP4. I say useable because Jacob said the ZV4 could do close to 40mm with a change of something.(spider maybe) And then with 62.5mm.....makes for a great sub to pound on for anyone before damaging.

Budget becomes the real comparison. For me the X is the winner. I wish I could afford the ZV4 but that is a $200 upgrade over the X series.

I have been modelling the X vs ZV4 for a few hours last night. Ever since I saw your posts about spider changes and the ZV4. :T
Budget means nothing to me.............
Money means the same - to me - I just want a great HT driver

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
All out performance I would go with the ZV4 with a spider change. No way of simulating this because there aren't any specs yet.

Do you have the 18 ZV4 T/S?

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
Would it be something Sundown can install?

Or something you would have to install?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sundown will only go as far as to install the X spider pack on the zv4. The zv4 is a fiver layer pack and the x is a 4 layer pack.

I'm guessing the HST is a 2 layer spider pack, Possibly even a 1 layer. From the same place as the ZV4 and X series.

I can get close if not exact with the help of a local shop I frequent. However, I would need a zv4 and an X spider pack for comparison and ultimately the best accuracy.

I get real caught up on things sometimes. It upsets me that Nick has gone the road he has. There are a lot of guys who would like to have the ZV4 with the softer spider and being that is all it is makes me livid that Nick can't find a way to do the DIY community right.

I don't want to get started here since I'm already banned over at AVR, and Nick is a paying sponsor here.

With enough determination one could replicate the HST with a softer spider and offer that to the DIY community. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to discuss anything in private.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I don't know if he still has it, but Nick was selling the HST Prototype for $400 shipped.

I ran two stock Zv.4's in my HT. Each one was powered by a Crown XLS 2000. I ran them in separate sealed boxes, 1.5 cubic foot each.

Jacob did say the X series was better suited for HT, but I thought the ZV.4's were incredible. They had to much output I only really had one on at a time. Both were just too much for my wife.

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
Hmmm thats an amazing price if he was selling them for that cheap. 400 I would already have my own pair. I did not think they were going for anything close to that though.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Hey Lucas- thanks for posting! I came across your comparison pictures several times in my multiple searches. I also saw where you asked Nick for softer spiders for your 12's and he said no. :( Sorry your wife can't stand the loudness- mine doesn't like it but I'm lucky she's cool and compromises with me.

I never got prices on the 15s, but the 18s varied from just over 600 (unknown if that was shipped or not) to the quote I got for 550.00 + 50 shipping each, for four.

You could try asking buckman what he paid, but take that answer with a big fat grain of :coocoo: salt. :rofl2:

I'm going to email you now. I've meaning to do so, and this just reminded me. :)

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
Oh ok. That makes more sense. I never got a concrete price on them. I think there was confusion when I asked for a "price not including shipping."

Either way thanks Lucasa.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.