1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have following equipment

1. TASCAM 144 mk II
2. calibrated ECM 8000 microphone.

I am trying to recollect the steps that I need to do. Please provide any feedback.
Pre requisites of Calibration
1. Complete sound card calibration. I am assuming that I only need to connect phones to Line in L USING TR/TR cable and complete calibration.
2. Once calibration file for sound card is completed, disconnect above cable and I guess I don't need the cable anymore once calibration file is saved.
3. Feed narrow_band_response_0_degree.frd as input to michrphone calibration file.

Assuming that these steps do not need any connection to audio receiver.

Real test

1. Connect XLR/RCA cable from microphone to Mic In L
2. Connect digital output of TASCAM 144 to Anthem receiver (audio receiver) using Coax cable. I think this output is called SPDIF
3. Click measure to get the graphs.

Am I right so far? I need to understand about many knobs to change levels on TASCAM and understand what graphs to generate and understand them.

Appreciate your feedback particularly connection to receiver etc.

·
Super Moderator
9,252 Posts

I am trying to recollect the steps that I need to do. Please provide any feedback.
Pre requisites of Calibration
1. Complete sound card calibration. I am assuming that I only need to connect phones to Line in L USING TR/TR cable and complete calibration.
Nope – Loop between Line in and Line out. The XLR jacks are “combo” jacks that will take 1/4" plugs as well as XLR. So, you need a 1/4"-to-RCA cable to do the calibration.

Or, you could just skip it. The TASCAM is virtually ruler flat as it is – down maybe 1/2 dB @ 20 Hz – doesn’t really need a calibration.

2. Once calibration file for sound card is completed, disconnect above cable and I guess I don't need the cable anymore once calibration file is saved.
Right.
] 3. Feed narrow_band_response_0_degree.frd as input to michrphone calibration file.
The calibration file loaded into REW – has nothing to do with the TASCAM.

1. Connect XLR/RCA cable from microphone to Mic In L
2. Connect digital output of TASCAM 144 to Anthem receiver (audio receiver) using Coax cable. I think this output is called SPDIF
3. Click measure to get the graphs.
All good there, except #2: You need to use the TASCAM’s analog RCA outputs. The frequency response of the digital output is unknown.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope – Loop between Line in and Line out. The XLR jacks are “combo” jacks that will take 1/4" plugs as well as XLR. So, you need a 1/4"-to-RCA cable to do the calibration.

Or, you could just skip it. The TASCAM is virtually ruler flat as it is – down maybe 1/2 dB @ 20 Hz – doesn’t really need a calibration.

Right.
The calibration file loaded into REW – has nothing to do with the TASCAM.

All good there, except #2: You need to use the TASCAM’s analog RCA outputs. The frequency response of the digital output is unknown.

Regards,
Wayne
Thanks Wayne. Does RCA output means connect "Line output" (L, Right & R, Red) two channel to stereo inputs of Audio receiver?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
REW only puts a signal out for one channel of the TASCAM, left or right (you can choose which one). Therefore, you need to use a “y” cable if you want that single signal to feed into both channels of your audio receiver.

Regards,
Wayne
Thanks Wayne. Now I can recollect that I read REW sends only one channel. I will research on Y cable.

Unless I try, it is difficult to understand/remember. I have baby and getting difficult to find time at home. My intention is to test to get an idea to find first reflections, and bass ringing so that I can install bass traps and panels to avoid first reflections.

Is it typically tested with one channel to get to know about room? If so, then point microphone over horizontal axis towards each front speaker (front, left, center) with 0 degree calibration file and find graph(Which)?

It would help to know any major steps for beginner to test his 5.1 channel speaker system for room acoustics and what graphs to check etc? Even to learn baby steps one has to know what are they in the order.

I will try to read more and document my understanding.

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
REW only puts a signal out for one channel of the TASCAM, left or right (you can choose which one).
That is true if using the ASIO drivers, though the signal can be made available on the other channel by selecting it as the reference output. If using the Java drivers the signal is always on both outputs.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is true if using the ASIO drivers, though the signal can be made available on the other channel by selecting it as the reference output. If using the Java drivers the signal is always on both outputs.
Thanks. How do I know if I am using ASIO drivers or Java drivers? I installed REW few months back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts