Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm lookng for something that can be used as a HPF - specifically a device with XLR connectors.

I have a Symetrix 551E parametric EQ that has a HPF and has XLRs - but also has EQ features that I don't really use (overkill as a HPF)

I believe the DCX2496 could be used as a HPF?
I've looked at the Reckhorn B-2 -- but it's RCA only..

Any other popular filters?

·
Super Moderator
9,234 Posts

I doubt such a thing exists. Balanced gear is typically pro audio, and there really isn’t any use for a stand-alone HPF in pro audio. Typically that function has been rolled into equalizers and/or crossovers, so you’ll probably just have to put up with the other “baggage” to get the balanced HPF function. :(

Regards,
Wayne

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I doubt such a thing exists. Balanced gear is typically pro audio, and there really isn’t any use for a stand-alone HPF in pro audio. Typically that function has been rolled into equalizers and/or crossovers, so you’ll probably just have to put up with the other “baggage” to get the balanced HPF function. :(
Yeah - that's kind of what I figured..

I'm just trying to find something with the least....baggage.

Curious if something like the Reckhorn might work -- if it's designed to handle signal levels as high as XLR produces (probably not is my guess). Edit: looks like it can take up to a 10V signal........ but in looking at the B2 a little more, it doesn't have any markings for specific frequencies.. just high and low. Makes it difficult for any level of precision.

I like the XLR outputs on my PR-SC886... and being able to run it directly to BFD and amp without converting.. :doh:

I don't really care if I have to use something like a pro-EQ.. just trying to minimize the junk in the signal chain.

Hmm. Looks like the DCX2496 can do high pass, low pass and band pass (@ 6/12db).

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow...

The B1 was tested and it's not accurate. For example with the subsonic filter set at 10 hz and the boost frequency set at 20 hz and the boost level set at the 12 o'clock postion the unit provides a 15 hz hi-pass filter. Try those settings and see how your subs perform. If they should bottom out increase the subsonic filter frequency to 12 hz and try again.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I believe miniDSP now has a version with balanced connections IIRC

...yes, just checked and they do have such a unit but out of stock for a couple weeks. A lot of peeps on avs are excited about this powerful piece of hardware/ software

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe miniDSP now has a version with balanced connections IIRC

...yes, just checked and they do have such a unit but out of stock for a couple weeks. A lot of peeps on avs are excited about this powerful piece of hardware/ software
Thanks for mentioning the miniDSP - I forgot about it..

I just wish their DSP in a box solution actually had XLR connectors.. and didn't cost $36 to ship from China.. :hissyfit:

·
Registered
887 Posts
It's still a great deal even with the shipping considering it's reconfigurable to whatever your needs are. XLR is just a termination. You can easily terminate your cables to accommodate the miniDSP.

I would stay away from Reckhorn products. I have the B1 and regret that I purchased it. There is zero customer support for these products and they don't perform well. If it's your only choice you are going to need to measure it's filter characteristics to see what you are really getting. Bob at CSS does not know so don't bother asking...

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I love the plugins idea... and yeah - I know XLR is just a termination... but I was just trying to keep things clean and simple without making custom cables.. I wish that there was some way to easily rackmount the minidsps too. My rack has enough cabling.... :) and trying to keep from having random boxes in addition to the racked equipment. I know... I'm being picky.

I feel like I keep making excuses not to get a minidsp - and I don't mean to. Maybe I should buy one at some point- just to play with it.

I might eventually get a DCX for my subs - since it allows up to 6 outputs and you can apply EQ and filters to each output individually.

Thanks for the comment about the B-1. I read the B-2 is a little better, but my thought is that if you have to measure it's characteristics to see what you're getting - it's basically useless. It's just not worth investing the time to measure what it's doing......... just to get it to do what you want.

·
Registered
887 Posts
cool...

not that I have a miniDSP or anything. I just think it's a cool idea and implementation.

If you are willing to do some DIY with electronics (you obviously DIY, maybe just need to get over some hesitation about non-MDF or plywood related work :foottap:) you could get a really cool solution with these things. At the least you could get a rack shelf and screw the unit into it.

There are also plenty of pre-built enclosures out there that would allow you to build an enclosure with whatever terminations you want if you are willing to do a little DIY on the enclosure. Maybe you could get the kit and build a wooden enclosure with XLR connections.

The shipping is a lot because they are selling as a manufacturer from China (as you know). Just think what these units would retail in the US. Well, there is no retailer in the US right now so who knows what they would go for but it will probably be more than you can get one for now unless someone decides to buy 10000 of these things.

sorry, I just want to get some of these but I have no use for them. I can't justify an entire DIY active speaker project just because I buy a DSP....:nerd:

·
Registered
372 Posts
It looks like miniDSP does offer a "balanced" board. Combined with the 2 way PEQ plugin and you'd end up with a simple BFD/subsonic filter replacement.... At least that's what it looks like.

EDIT: Looks like you'd want the 2way advanced plugin....

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah - I understand the thoughts on the MiniDSP - but if you buy the balanced one in the box..and the plugin and shipping... you're up to the cost of a used BFD - that has twice the outputs...

I have a hard time spending $200 on what would basically just be a HPF.... that still couldn't easily be rackmounted and lacked XLR.

I kind of feel like miniDSP fits in such a tight niche market.... which is basically hobbyists only.. It lacks a little polish - which for some of the prices - I think it should have a little more. My original search was for something with low overhead/few features.. but I think that DSPs don't really match that.

Sorry - don't mean to sound so negative about this! :)

·
Registered
887 Posts
Hmm... well, you might be out of luck. I don't know.

One last thing (and then I'll stop) the dsp has over the Bfd is that it will filter below 20Hz.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I like the XLR outputs on my PR-SC886... and being able to run it directly to BFD and amp without converting.. :doh:
Do you have unusually long (>25') connection to make or severe EMI / RFI problem? If not, balanced line isn't needed. There are some active crossover kits online if you are inclined so. Elliott Sound Products has 24 dB/Octave 2/3-Way Linkwitz-Riley Electronic Crossover.

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No... just wanted to keep it balanced from preamp to amp.... or at least just keep from going XLR to RCA to XLR (etc).

I'm not looking for a crossover or DSP... was just looking for a simple active HPF. The Symmetrix EQ works fine for what I need - the reason why I started the thread - was looking for something that just had an HPF without all the bells and whistles.

I don't care that much -- just surprised how few active HPFs there are without buying or making a full blown EQ or crossover. If it takes a DSP or a crossover to just do a simple HPF - it's no simpler (or cheaper) than using a pro-EQ like the Symmetrix (or DCX2496 or Driverack products)

The Reckhorn B1/B2 would have actually almost fit the description - if they were more precise. Just need a HPF for a ported sub -- since the Behringer EP4000s lack anything more than a 30/50hz HPF.

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hmm... well, you might be out of luck. I don't know.

One last thing (and then I'll stop) the dsp has over the Bfd is that it will filter below 20Hz.
That's actually very funny (and interesting!) that you mention that.... the whole reason I bought the Symmatrix EQ was because it was one of the very few EQs that can EQ below 20hz. Originally I wanted to boost below 20hz... and it just happens that it also has a HPF.

The fact that the MiniDSP has features below 20hz is important... since most gear doesn't touch anything below 20.

·
Registered
6 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Thanks for mentioning the miniDSP - I forgot about it..

I just wish their DSP in a box solution actually had XLR connectors.. and didn't cost $36 to ship from China.. :hissyfit:
They do have one, it just doesn't have XLR connectors. Instead its balanced and you need to attach the leads to the balanced input and output terminals. It would have been nice to have the xlr connectors wired in but thats what you get for saving money. They even point to an adapter cable available at another site and said they were thinking of bundling them. Again, there is a balanced version of the MiniDSP in a box, its just it uses different connectors.

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm aware that MiniDSP has a balanced version. I've known this for quite a while. While I understand that I can easily wire a balanced connection to it - I still prefer it having hard XLR connectors without having to build custom cables and a custom enclosure so I can mount it.

The intention of my original post was trying to find a simple HPF. Not a full blown DSP or EQ solution. Since MiniDSP is a fully featured DSP (but lacks the polish of a pro product) - it's not what I'm looking for.

My reason for XLR is in part because of the higher line voltage.

I think it's pretty clear there are no simple XLR HPF filters.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts